Thread: US Grade Crossing Data

Default US Grade Crossing Data

I discovered, a month or two ago, a file deep in the bowels of the FRA's website. It was a spreadsheet containing grade crossing data for every crossing in the US to have existed at any point since Jan. 1 1970.* While crossings that still exist today will have modern-day data, crossings that have been closed (like you would see on abandoned lines) will have data from the time they were closed, providing a window into the past in these places.

*I have found at least one crossing that I've been to in real life does not appear to be listed in their data

Reading the data can be tricky, since the Crossing ID Suffix (basically like a reporting mark, identifying who owns the crossing) may not actually correspond to the railroad which currently owns it. As an extreme example, there are entries labelled Penn Central dating from 2018, and even more strangely, BNSF entries in 1988. That said, if you know the ancestry of the crossing you're looking for, you should be able to track down the data you need

I am in the process of breaking the data down by railroad, and for larger roads, by state, as well. So far, out of ~450,000 entries, about 250,000 remain. If someone is looking for data for a specific road, I am willing to try and expedite collecting it. Note that larger roads, especially modern Class 1s, are unlikely to be done soon (I have 15,000 entries on my BNSF sheet already, and have yet to reach any of the 25,000 crossings that are still open). An example of what the data looks like is attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have finished collecting and sorting the data, and am working on a manual - most of the data is self-explanatory, but I think it's worth having a bit of commentary and detail-filling. I have also just completed an index listing the 1,500 or so reporting marks. But there's one problem...

Only about 60% or so of those reporting marks have a name associated with them. Some of the unknown ones I know or suspect the identity of, but I have no idea for many. I am going to do some research to try and figure out as many as I can (I rather doubt I'll get them all). But I am also attaching a link to the index in the hope that someone might recognize a few of these unknown roads, especially the small local roads that I in the frozen North would never know of

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yb526u5lj...Index.zip?dl=0

Thanks for this. I was interested in upgrading my copy of PRR-E with grade crossings on the Northeast Corridor. I found a document on the Northeast Corridor Improvement Project that said there had been 15 grade crossings on the Corridor in Maryland and 4 in Delaware before 1975, but I didn't find a list. They must have existed in the Pennsy era and would add a little realism and operational interest to the PRR-E. I'm busy building the Blue Comet Lines extension so it will be a while before I think of diving into the crossing database.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

If they were closed after 1970 there's a good chance they will be in there. If it happened in the PRR era (when did Penn Central form?)...probably not. That said, I have found gaps in data on now-abandoned lines where I know there were crossings, but these seem to be rare