Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Brackets Error Correcting Software?

Question File Brackets Error Correcting Software?

I have some sound files (*.sms) that have numerous errors such as missing *.wav files, incorrect number of streams/triggers, and brackets either incorrectly placed or incorrect number of brackets used.

I've corrected most of the errors (missing sound files and incorrect number of streams and triggers), but correcting the brackets error is difficult owing to poor layout of the arguments used.

One such error filled sms file is 710G3B_BNSFcab.sms which is found within the file mlw_710g3abc.zip and is downloadable from the File Library here.

Trying to check brackets used within the sms file 710G3B_BNSFcab.sms is difficult as there are brackets literally all over the place!

Apart from Context, Notepad++, and other similar programs which can locate "paired" brackets, is there other software that can actually check brackets and make (automatic) corrections??

You are unlikely to get automatic corrections.

I use a program called jedit.

http://jedit.org/index.php?page%3Ddownload
    Cheers
    Derek

Unhappy

Thanks Derek for your comment.

Looking into jedit software at the moment.

Sorry, I selected the wrong file that I'm having difficulty with. It is file AC44CW_CPRcab.sms from mattfsounds.zip which is available from the File Library here.

Ged's utility sms_checker is very helpful with problems like this

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=36945
    Cheers
    Derek

Thanks again, Derek.

Looking into this sms checker as well!

You won't find an automatic fixer, but if you can find one that will automatically tab and reverse tab, you might see an obvious error where something is tabbed out of the ordinary.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hi Peter,
    Referring to the file you mentioned (AC44CW_CPRcab.sms) One close bracket must be added between lines 275 and 276 and between lines 429 and 430. All the *cab.sms files in this pack suffer from similar problems, although not on the same lines!

There are also several Streams and Triggers errors which will result in messages in the Open Rails log, but which don't cause any problems for MSTS!

Cheers,
    Ged

Comments noted, thanks!

Ged,

Yes, I found the missing brackets (in conjunction with using jedit). Thanks.

Unfortunately all of the files within this zip file, as you mentioned, seem to suffer from similar errors! I've cleared most stream and trigger errors from the AA44CW_CPRcab.sms file but still have a lot of work to do! What a nuisance!!

Hi Peter,
    YOU don't need to clear the Streams and Triggers errors!! My utility will do it in seconds
    All you need to do is deal with the brackets problems! Yes, my program could have fixed those as well, but I considered it too 'dangerous' for the integrity of the file.

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks Ged!

Yes, on thinking about it, depending on how many brackets are missing or misplaced, it would be difficult to ensure proper placement of brackets. Although in theory it should be possible for software to correct for bracket errors, the program would have to fully understand bracket requirement/placement for the files. Of course, incorrect bracket placement could lead to disaster with files becoming basically unusable!

I have found numerous missing *.wav files from some sms files and these can take quite a while to fix; either by deleting the "Stream" argument if the missing wav files are not important, or by having to locate these missing wav files manually. Locating missing *.wav's can take quite some time! Actually this is where most time is spent by having to locate these wav's. Nuisance!