Thread: Recommended Options settings

Default Recommended Options settings

Some time ago, there was a discussion on the recommended/suggested settings for Options in OR. After years of operating both MSTS and OR with an older computer, I opted to upgrade the entire system, and am now ready to set the Options for better performance. I've read the Manual for the latest 1.4 release, but would like to get some ideas as to what others are doing. As mentioned, the earlier discussion on this subject, covered a lot of helpful info, but I am unable to locate the archived thread.
    Thanks in advance,

Curt

Kind of depends on the computer hardware that you have.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Sorry for being vague. I'm not a computer-guy, and I'm still exploring and learning with this new system. I'm now running Windows 10, with a AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor; 32 GB, and a AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT graphics card. Hope that's enough info.

My system is about 6 years old now and these are the settings that I run. You may ask why I have the "Level of detail bias" at 99% and not 100%. I found that I would loose as much as 10FPS when moving to 100% from 99% and I have not been able to see what detail is missing at 99% versus 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by trainmanaustin View Post
    My system is about 6 years old now and these are the settings that I run. You may ask why I have the "Level of detail bias" at 99% and not 100%. I found that I would loose as much as 10FPS when moving to 100% from 99% and I have not been able to see what detail is missing at 99% versus 100%...
    You may want to try setting the level of detail bias slider to the default of zero...take a look at the explanation of this setting from the manual:

6.10.14 Level of detail bias
    Many visual objects are modelled at more than one level of detail (LOD) so, when they are seen at a distance, Open Rails can switch to the lesser level of detail without compromising the view. This use of multiple LODs reduces the processing load and so may increase frame rates.
    Lowering the LOD Bias setting below 0 reduces the distance at which a lower level of detail comes into view, and so boosts frame rates but there may be some loss of sharpness.
    Raising the LOD Bias setting above 0 increases the distance at which a lower level of detail comes into view. This may be useful to sharpen distant content that was created for a smaller screen or a wider field of view than you are currently using.
    If your content does not use multiple LODs, then this option will have no effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
    ... I've read the Manual for the latest 1.4 release, but would like to get some ideas as to what others are doing...
    Curt
    Curt, "dynamic shadows" and "shadow all shapes" will affect FPS, not familiar with AMD cards, but you can probably check those boxes. Try starting with "Run at 32 bit on Win64" Options/General Tab unchecked, and see what happens, you've got enough memory to handle that.

You really don't need over 60FPS to run any route in OR --- so if your Ryzen card is powerful enough you can check "Vertical Sync" on the video tab. I running a Nvidia RTX 2070 and have no problems running any route at 60fps. I've got the Anti-Aliasing slider set to 4xMSAA. routes look good to me. The Mullan route ( newest built specifically for OR ) looks and runs very well, no flashing foliage, weird shimmering, etc...a lot of the video problems one sees in the older routes just do not appear.

You'll have to experiment until you find the settings that work for your rig.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-07-2022 at 09:14 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    You may want to try setting the level of detail bias slider to the default of zero...take a look at the explanation of this setting from the manual:

Curt, "dynamic shadows" and "shadow all shapes" will affect FPS, not familiar with AMD cards, but you can probably check those boxes. Try starting with "Run at 32 bit on Win64" Options/General Tab unchecked, and see what happens, you've got enough memory to handle that.

You really don't need over 60FPS to run any route in OR --- so if your Ryzen card is powerful enough you can check "Vertical Sync" on the video tab. I running a Nvidia RTX 2070 and have no problems running any route at 60fps. I've got the Anti-Aliasing slider set to 4xMSAA. routes look good to me. The Mullan route ( newest built specifically for OR ) looks and runs very well, no flashing foliage, weird shimmering, etc...a lot of the video problems one sees in the older routes just do not appear.

You'll have to experiment until you find the settings that work for your rig.
    Ok, I just realized that I was still using the 1.3 manual and not the latest version. Thank you for pointing this out to me.