Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BNSF buys Montana Rail Link

If the original BNSF merger is anything to go by, the MRL blue paint scheme isn't going anywhere soon. In fact, they might get around a bit more

Perhaps there's something like this in the future?

Work Safe play hard

It'll be interesting what BNSF does with MRL's roster. It's certain they'll want to keep the SD70ACe's, but wonder what that means for real gems like the last two SD45's, any remaining GP9's, and the SD40 rebuilds.
    "After you’ve done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over." - Alfred E. Perlman

If they're leasers they're gone.

Museums might want to contact BNSF for donations...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I mean, BNSF still has a ton of SD40-2's in service across their system. GP9's on the other hand, could be sold or scrapped, and the GP35's more than likely sold off as well, or rebuilt as GP38-3's or whatever BNSF/BN/ATSF did with their GP39M's and such..

Also, referring to STB, it depends. Sure it's a lease, but to be cut so quickly, there is a chance STB could say, sorry.
    STB has a backbone this time around, and hasn't been giving in so easily to this big railroads.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

BNSF's GP28M/GP28Ps were rebuilt from GP9s and the like, albeit by BN a long time ago. So while they may sell of the older units, it's not quite a certainty. F/SD45s will be interesting to see what they do, especially since they still have V20s in them

I'm catching on late again. I totally missed this news.

My introduction to MRL was via a BNSF engineer's postings online. His Tales From The Krug stories were enjoyable and shared information on usually operating between Sheridan WY and Laurel MT.

His website was temporarily hosted elsewhere, but seems to be back at his original host again. He's been retired since about 2005, if I remember correctly, but his pages are still interesting reading.

I wouldn't envy MRL employees, even if they keep their jobs as promised, the two groups of employees have to sort out seniority and such. If BNSF downsizes for any reason, the MRL folks could get the worst of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SP4449 View Post
    I'm catching on late again. I totally missed this news.

My introduction to MRL was via a BNSF engineer's postings online. His Tales From The Krug stories were enjoyable and shared information on usually operating between Sheridan WY and Laurel MT.

His website was temporarily hosted elsewhere, but seems to be back at his original host again. He's been retired since about 2005, if I remember correctly, but his pages are still interesting reading.

I wouldn't envy MRL employees, even if they keep their jobs as promised, the two groups of employees have to sort out seniority and such. If BNSF downsizes for any reason, the MRL folks could get the worst of it.
    Sadly, if it follows the footsteps of other recent buyouts... good chance they will be out of a job. However, considering BNSF isn't nearly as sticky to PSR as the others, time will tell. I for one hope the MRL guys can keep and hold their current jobs.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by SP4449 View Post
    ....My introduction to MRL was via a BNSF engineer's postings online. His Tales From The Krug stories were enjoyable and shared information on usually operating between Sheridan WY and Laurel MT.......
    Al Krug's "tales" were one of the prime reasons for enhancing my interest in train sims. His site today is an historical artifact and I hope it stays around forever.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0