Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: RRDiesel87 ORTS Repaints

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Yep. About 4000 gal larger. 19,000 gal corn, 16,000 slurry and 15,000 acid. The first instance was in either the CN or CP GP9R packs and probably also came in the MacTier pack or some route afterwards. These are some pvt repaints done by others and sent to me.

Out of curiosity, because SOO isn't really my cup of tea, is the slurry tank from the MacTier sub package the same as the one from the SOO package, shape wise at least?
    -Shawn K-

Drawing plan-wise, yes. The mactier shape is MSTS-grade 11,000 polys, 4 LODs and the Soo shape is OR-grade 34,000 polys, 3 LODs

Drawing plan-wise, yes. The mactier shape is MSTS-grade 11,000 polys, 4 LODs and the Soo shape is OR-grade 34,000 polys, 3 LODs
    Okay excellent news then. Interesting that ORTS only has 3 LOD's compared to the MSTS version, but with more poly count, I imagine the ORTS version has much more detail.

Though, I am not entirely sure either the NATX OMYA Tank, or the ACFX Slurry tank would fit the bill for these. All the consists I've had with these specific cars, show them as 46' in length, and the Acid tanks usually show as 42' in length.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=5511187
    -Shawn K-

A side beneficiary from the newer shapes is retention of couplers and trucks at far distances or under extreme zoom conditions either broadside or 3/4 view down the length of the train.

On left is MSTS newsprint car 12,000 polys and on right is 29,000 poly OR version of same car from the Soo pack. The things that had to be butchered in the shapes just to get a trainful of these to work among MSTS limitations...... Staggering. When new shapes come in new packs, I often apply the newer shape on other MSTS grade cars - where texture mapping permits.

Now back to our regular programming.

A side beneficiary from the newer shapes is retention of couplers and trucks at far distances or under extreme zoom conditions either broadside or 3/4 view down the length of the train.

On left is MSTS newsprint car 12,000 polys and on right is 29,000 poly OR version of same car from the Soo pack. The things that had to be butchered in the shapes just to get a trainful of these to work among MSTS limitations...... Staggering. When new shapes come in new packs, I often apply the newer shape on other MSTS grade cars - where texture mapping permits.

Ah, that had slipped my mind as I normally don't run on routes where you often can see the tail cars. If that's the case I may need to browse through and see what can be swapped around for the shape files so as long as you mentioned, the texture mapping allows. Thank you for the explanation!

Sorry Andrew about hijacking the thread a little bit with some questions.
    -Shawn K-

No problem Shawn, I think im going to get some of the newer packs on BF so i have new and more correct shapes to work with. But on a side note, most of my ORTS time as of late has been spent converting all of my Ted Curphey based boxcars with the NAVS Plate C conversion kit. If anyone has not done this I would HIGHLY recommend it, the new shape really gives a new life to those older models.

Anyway I finally got around to the BM and MEC 100 tons as requested by Shawn!

Last edited by rrdiesel87; 11-15-2022 at 09:20 PM.

I'm having trouble getting the shapes to show up in TSRE Consist Editor and then ultimately the Sim (ORTS). Can't figure out what's wrong. This is primarilly a problem with many of the coal hoppers, but not all.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Quote Originally Posted by rrdiesel87 View Post
    No problem Shawn, I think im going to get some of the newer packs on BF so i have new and more correct shapes to work with. But on a side note, most of my ORTS time as of late has been spent converting all of my Ted Curphey based boxcars with the NAVS Plate C conversion kit. If anyone has not done this I would HIGHLY recommend it, the new shape really gives a new life to those older models.

Anyway I finally got around to the BM and MEC 100 tons as requested by Shawn!
    That's something I may take a look into. I've been considering completely getting away from those models and moving towards TS models for everything. Problem is the boxcars I see and get photos of, are typically different than what TS has produced, so I'll have to take a look at the NAVS ones as well

Man those B&M and MEC cars look fantastic! Definitely look beat up like the ones I used to switch out in Rumford.
    -Shawn K-

Not a whole lot of time to work on things as of late but I did do some weathering and renumbering of the NS TopGons from the SLI Horseshoe Curve Trainsets(no longer availiable). There will be 7 cars total as well as a replacement coal.ace/dds to match the NAVS hopper sets.

Nice job!