Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Resuming Saved Activities, Locomotive Power is Throttled Back Momentarily!!??

Question On Resuming Saved Activities, Locomotive Power is Throttled Back Momentarily!!??

This is in regard to Open Rails version 1.4.

On resuming saved activities, I've noticed player locomotive(s) initially throttle back for a few seconds and then throttle back up again to the previous throttle setting!?

Why are the locomotives doing this on resuming activities?

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    This is in regard to Open Rails version 1.4.

On resuming saved activities, I've noticed player locomotive(s) initially throttle back for a few seconds and then throttle back up again to the previous throttle setting!?

Why are the locomotives doing this on resuming activities?
    I've noticed this too. I guess it's some sort of glitch, but I'll wait for someone more experienced to clarify.
    Swadesh
    Railfan from Bengaluru, KA, India
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/theindianrailwayfreak
    Happy simming!

Yes I've experienced this on the MG version for a while now. Its only momentary so doesn't really seem to affect the game.
    Regards,

Nick

Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Getting the same thing after updating to 1.4.

Generally not a big deal, but if you saved in a high throttle/low speed scenario while climbing a grade, it could present some problems.

If I remember correctly there was some trouble with excessive wheelslip when resuming an activity -- especially for the higher throttle settings -- so this method of resuming power was implemented. ( I could be wrong )
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    If I remember correctly there was some trouble with excessive wheelslip when resuming an activity -- especially for the higher throttle settings -- so this method of resuming power was implemented. ( I could be wrong )
    I believe you're correct, Gerry.

And I have encountered plenty of issues resuming activities while grinding up a mountain grade where I suddenly stall out... most frustrating is when the sudden speed loss actually drops you down to a speed where, once the throttle loads back up, you get wheelslip or broken couplers that wouldn't have otherwise happened at the speed being maintained prior to the save game resumption. (yet another example of creating new problems by "solving" another)

I had *hoped* the solution to the wheelslip issue would be that upon resuming a save, the sim would basically "ignore" wheelslip issues for the first 5-10 seconds of simulation after resuming a save, since it seems to take about that long for the sim to get "firing on all cylinders" and have everything stabilize in the physics calculation department.

Somewhat related to this issue is that the advanced adhesion model continues to be tied heavily to frame rates, which causes major issues for users on slower computers that get less than about 20-25 FPS... This is a frustrating thing to mitigate when you may have only momentary situations of lower framerates due to passing through a brief "high density" area of scenery, or having an AI train passing by... Really hoping the advanced adhesion model can some day be adjusted to tie to "real time" rather than the number of frame updates... (sorry for the rant )
    ~Sean Kelly~
    MRL Mullan Pass for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass
    SP Shasta Route for Open Rails: In Development / Tracks 100%, Scenery 75%

>Somewhat related to this issue is that the advanced adhesion model continues to be tied heavily to frame rates

Not tied heavily, is IS coded to only update on the refresh rate. It needs is own clock to work from.
    Cheers
    Derek

Not only with restores, but entering activities anew where the train is supposed to already be in motion, the same sounds of throttle down/throttle up happens. It involves sounds only. No actual throttle movement.

I've noticed this, and it's a bit frustrating when you are already struggling up a mountain pass. Dropping the throttle down to idle and back up quickly helps, but shouldn't be the fix.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    I've noticed this, and it's a bit frustrating when you are already struggling up a mountain pass. Dropping the throttle down to idle and back up quickly helps, but shouldn't be the fix.
    Yup, it sure is -- Shawn, ...try this

When you resume from a save, the sim is paused...don't start immediately --- wait for the fps to come up to the proper level...I can run everything at 60fps...so I wait for it to settle at around 60fps, ---- then hit the escape key.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.