Thread: Train Fails to Reverse on Testing in Microsoft Activity Editor!?

Question Train Fails to Reverse on Testing in Microsoft Activity Editor!?

Created a simple activity where the player train goes a certain distance to a reverse point and then the train reverses into a siding.

No AI traffic.

On checking the created activity in Microsoft Activity Editor ( by clicking on "Play" button after setting start "Time" and time acceleration first). Train runs up to the reverse point, stops, and either doesn't proceed to reverse the train, or train then continues forwards (!!??) despite no train path having been created for the train to continue forward! The train is supposed to reverse into the siding as per path setting.

I have moved the reverse point a few times between each attempt at activity testing in case there might be conflict with signals and/or switches, but the train still doesn't reverse into the siding as intended!?

What is wrong here?

Can't MS Activity Editor run trains in reverse (to test train paths and activity)?

Or what?

Thank you.

I don't think that you'd get a train to reverse by running the activity in Editor... but, your train will not reverse automatically when running the activity in MSTS or OR, you have to stop your train clear of the switch, then if all is working the "dispatcher" will throw the switch and you would manually back you train into the siding. This will create a problem in MSTS that the switch is now open to the siding and when the AI traffic sees it it will not spawn because their path is broken. In OR you could throw the switch after backing into the siding, restoring the path for the AI traffic.

Paul :-)

Yes, that MSTS Activity Editor 'player' has never worked properly from day one (of MSTS) with regard to RP operation.

In TSRE or MSTS editing for use in Open Rails it is not necessary to allow for train length from a Junction (switch) when placing Reverse Points.

I can place a RP 10 meters from a switch and it will operate normally when the rear of a 20 wagon (or any length actually) consist being reversed is clear of said Junction placed 10 meters from the junction. Why 10 meters? Just a preference.
    For those still running MSTS is IS necessary to place RP's to allow clearance from a junction.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Lightbulb

Thanks for the comments!

I have done more testing, and the player train DOES (eventually) reverse when checking the activity in MS Activity Editor.

BUT! So from tests so far, it seems in order for the train to reverse (in MSAE), the player train has to be clear of any switches, regardless of where the reverse point is placed!

This doesn't seem to be an issue when actually running the activity by driving player train manually as usual. The signals and switches all behave as they should, even when the player train occupies some other switches. And the reverse point MUST be a bit clear (around 10 meters!!) of any switch to avoid activity issues even when driving player trains.

So it does seem that the MS Activity Editor activity checking feature is "bugged", as it seems to get confused when (player) trains occupy switches that are not required to be switched for the activities!

Peter, you seem to be interested in arcane software...perhaps this would be of aid in your research .. Rich Garber's classic manual on the MSTS Activity Editor is still available here >>>> http://www.allaboardrails.com/at.htm
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

No, not really interested in "arcane" software.

I was using the only known activity checker to test the activity before actually running the activity.

Is there any other activity checker like MS Activity Editor that tests activities by running a simulation of the activity?