Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Regarding Rolling Stock and Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Was it ever normal for freight trains to consist of rolling stock that had a mixture of both plain and roller bearings? Especially manifests with their variety, but also units as well?

I'm building a freight timetable for the Monon route (70s era) using all of the recently uploaded NAVS freeware rolling stock, and many of Tyler Bundy's 3D cab locomotives. I've only been using roller bearing stock so far, and I've noticed there were a couple of variants of NAVS boxcars that I haven't used because those only come with plain bearings.

Thank you.
    The NAV boxcars can be made to have several different kinds of trucks, including roller bearing.
    The .wag file lets you pick which one.

Wagon ( NAVS_Boxcar_CP_269221_LD
    WagonShape ( TRUCKS_50T_S2_PLAIN_BLACK.s )

ORTSFreightAnims (
    MSTSFreightAnimEnabled ( 1 )
    FreightAnimStatic (
    Shape( ../NAVS_COMMON/PS1_40/PS1_40_carbody_early_6ft_2.s )
    Offset( 0, 0, 0 )
    FreightWeight( 0lb )
    )
    FreightAnimStatic (
    Shape( ../NAVS_COMMON/PS1_40/Decals/B2.s )
    Offset( 0, 0, 0 )
    FreightWeight( 0lb )
    )
    )

Include( "../NAVS_COMMON/INCLUDE/AAR_Type-E.inc" )
    Include( "../NAVS_COMMON/PS1_40/PS1_40_LD_plain.inc" )

)
    Change the WagonShape to the TRUCKS shape you want in the NAVS_Common/PS1 folder.
    boxcar.JPG
    You can put any truck he makes on any car he makes.
    It's just a matter of changing the .wag.

Randy

Journal - That's the journal box that contains the bearing, either a solid (plain) bearing, or a replacement roller bearing.
    Modern trucks built for roller bearings only do not have journal boxes as such.

I've seen them both way, with and without the lids on the journal boxes removed. I would imagine it was just a case of which shop changed out the wheel sets and added whatever was needed to go from friction to roller bearings.

Paul :-)

Thanks for the replies...helps my understanding of this...it did have a bearing. ( ouch )
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    The NAV boxcars can be made to have several different kinds of trucks, including roller bearing.
    The .wag file lets you pick which one.

Wagon ( NAVS_Boxcar_CP_269221_LD
    WagonShape ( TRUCKS_50T_S2_PLAIN_BLACK.s )

ORTSFreightAnims (
    MSTSFreightAnimEnabled ( 1 )
    FreightAnimStatic (
    Shape( ../NAVS_COMMON/PS1_40/PS1_40_carbody_early_6ft_2.s )
    Offset( 0, 0, 0 )
    FreightWeight( 0lb )
    )
    FreightAnimStatic (
    Shape( ../NAVS_COMMON/PS1_40/Decals/B2.s )
    Offset( 0, 0, 0 )
    FreightWeight( 0lb )
    )
    )

Include( "../NAVS_COMMON/PS1_40/PS1_40_LD_plain.inc" )

)
    Change the WagonShape to the TRUCKS shape you want in the NAVS_Common/PS1 folder.
    boxcar.JPG
    You can put any truck he makes on any car he makes.
    It's just a matter of changing the .wag.

Randy
    Thank you for pointing this out.

The .wag files pointed to Include files in the NAVS COMMON folder. It was a simple matter of commenting out the "Plain" path and inserting the "roller" path beneath. It was a snap:

// Include( "../NAVS_COMMON/Boxcar_50_PS-Type/PS-Type_50_LD_A3_Plain_cushion.inc" )
    Include( "../NAVS_COMMON/Boxcar_50_PS-Type/PS-Type_50_LD_A3_roller_cushion.inc" )

Worked like a charm.
    Thanks.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

You didn't need to comment it out all you had to do is replace the word Plain with Roller.
    By the way, I don't think any of these cars received roller bearing trucks. They were converted to roller bearings using the existing sideframes.
    There's a shape for that too.
    trk.JPG

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    You didn't need to comment it out all you had to do is replace the word Plain with Roller.
    By the way, I don't think any of these cars received roller bearing trucks. They were converted to roller bearings using the existing sideframes.
    There's a shape for that too.
    trk.JPG

Randy
    I know. It's a habit. Keeping a backup of every edit no matter how superfluous.

I was wondering about the plain bearing style side frames with the open journal boxes, it seems those are roller bearing conversions. Says as much in the include files once I bothered paying attention to them.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."