Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear of Train Brake Cylinder Pressure Readout Missing From Status Monitor (F5 key)

Question Rear of Train Brake Cylinder Pressure Readout Missing From Status Monitor (F5 key)

First time I've come across this issue!

Trying to run a long stack train (3 locomotives and 248 well cars) in a simple activity going from A to B with no AI traffic.

On starting the activity, I noticed that the train status monitor (F5 key) doesn't show the end of train brake cylinder (BC) pressure reading!? The brake pipe (BP) pressure is shown, but not the brake cylinder(s) for the end of the train!

Never seen this issue before!

Running Open Rails version 1.4. NO log file generated by Open Rails, as the activity was only just started. So there is no log file available for reference.

Screenshot enclosed -

missing rear of train BC readout! (FM99).jpg

Why isn't the rear BC pressure reading showing?

Question

Here is the OR log after running the activity for a bit.

OpenRailsLog.zip

Nothing really stands out as being odd, apart from maybe a lot of C's and S's at the end of the log. Not quite sure what the significance of these C's and S's are?

Well I noticed 248 + 3 = 251. Are you exceeding a 250 car consist size limit somewhere, either with the consist editor or within the OR code itself and is the rear-most car getting chopped off and thus placing a brake-less well platform as your rear-most car?

Common sense says reduce to 1 loco or eliminate one well car set to get the total under 250 and check again.

Interesting points!

I removed the last well car from the consist. This well car was a single unit and not part of an articulated unit set, so removing this car shouldn't cause any issues with braking etc.

On removing this last well car and trying the activity again (with 3 locomotives and now 247 well cars for a total of 250 units), the rear of train brake cylinder (BC) pressure readout was back!!

I thought that there might be a limit on the total number of units allowed within a train and maybe limited to 250. So I created another consist (coal cars this time) with 260 loaded coal hopper cars plus one locomotive, making a total of 261 units. And this "larger" consist of 261 units did display the rear of train brake cylinder pressure!!

So, the issue (of no BC pressure readout for rear of train) seems to be related to the last (well) car that was removed, and NOT related to the total number of units within a consist!

The well car is from ATW.DTTX_53306 folder. File from atwellsoceanset12.zip at File Library.

I have enclosed a copy of the loaded and unloaded wag files for this suspect well car below. Maybe there is something within these wag files that is creating the issue?

ATW.DTTX_53306.zip
    Last edited by meeshu; 01-24-2022 at 07:45 AM.

Question

Mystery solved I believe!

The well car DTTX 53306 wag files (empty and loaded) did not have the statement Friction( before the actual friction values. So this statement was added to both wag files and now the well car shows brake cylinder (BC) pressure within the train monitor (F5 key) if this car is at the end (or the front) of the consist.

Is there a text editor that find files that have missing text within them, and then list those files that doesn't have the missing text?

TextCrawler, an excellent text find and replace utility (thanks to Derek Morton for the tip/suggestion), finds and optionally replaces sought after text within listed files. But I don't believe this utility searches for text that is NOT present within files and then lists them.

So is there a text search utility the finds and lists files that DON'T have the searched text within them?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Mystery solved I believe!

The well car DTTX 53306 wag files (empty and loaded) did not have the statement Friction( before the actual friction values. So this statement was added to both wag files and now the well car shows brake cylinder (BC) pressure within the train monitor (F5 key) if this car is at the end (or the front) of the consist.

Is there a text editor that find files that have missing text within them, and then list those files that doesn't have the missing text?

TextCrawler, an excellent text find and replace utility (thanks to Derek Morton for the tip/suggestion), finds and optionally replaces sought after text within listed files. But I don't believe this utility searches for text that is NOT present within files and then lists them.

So is there a text search utility the finds and lists files that DON'T have the searched text within them?

Thank you.
    Search and Replace will do this....https://www.funduc.com/ It is a powerful utility that will do numerous search functions...based upon what options you choose. I'm also positive TextCrawler will do the same thing...you just have not dug into it?

bandicam 2022-01-24 19-03-16-016.jpg

Also when encounter wag or engine problems in OR always check the log first...
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks for the detailed response Gerry!!

I believe I have just now figured out how to display files that do NOT have the missing text using TextCrawler! Select the View option along the top bar and then select List files with no matches (and deselect List files with matches if already selected). This will provide a list of files that DOESN'T have the searched text!

And thanks for the suggestion in using "Search and Replace" software to search for missing text! I'll look into this program as well.

I did look at Open Rails log but it didn't really provide any clues as to why the well car was causing the end of train brake cylinder pressure NOT to display within the train monitor window (F5 key).

I found the issue of missing text "Friction(" by finding mismatched brackets within the well car wag files by using jedit software. Very useful software as suggested by Derek Morton!

Yeah, having a good tool kit of utility programs is very helpful...trouble is...takes time to get to know how to use all of them...I'm still finding new stuff in some of the programs. Good you found the "List files with no matches" in TextCrawler...I knew it would be there...it's a powerful editing tool that many people use.

Sometimes OR does not pick up on some things...next time you run into a problem do this...Go to the DataLogger tab under options and check the box indicated by the red arrow in the screenshot...you may be surprised how much information OR gathers. Normally I run with the Verbose message box unchecked, until I need to diagnose something.
    bandicam 2022-01-24 21-17-10-571.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks for the additional information.

I must remember that checkbox option in Open Rails, next time there are issues with any activities!

>Well I noticed 248 + 3 = 251. Are you exceeding a 250 car consist

If there was a program limit it would be 256 not 250. 256 being the maximum number you can get from 8 bits.
    Conbuilder was the only utility that I can remember with 200 limits which were hard programmed.
    Cheers
    Derek