Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Well The Long Awaited V3 is here

I think Run8 has lots of potential and is going to be great for the majority of people. Yesterday I was conflicted and I still am based on some changes of what I like to run. For me I'm not ready to take the leap just yet because of a few things that I'll be waiting to see.

1) On the website it shows new regions. I assume they are being created or will be created in the future? The fact that we have an AI dispatcher (more about that in a moment) really helps in single player and smaller server activity on a larger network.

2) What I can't find addressed as mentioned is the timetable or ways to switch a bigger network with all this traffic. I figured the AI hump was coming as John mentioned it once apon a time.

3) This still takes some setup and a system to keep track of car movements. I had a system in RTS that counted the bowl tracks but I'm not even sure if V3 can show switch lists like V2 could to populate a spreadsheet with what is in each track. I'm not talking about what Run8 does now as I'm not sure since I don't own it or have access to all the manuals.

4) I take it AI trains can be brought to a certain destination. I noticed something mentioning special areas or something people can create. If those areas include optional pathing into a yard that would be a huge bonus, but I kind of doubt that for some reason.

Thanks

Sean
    Rail Transport Systems for Run8 Train Simulator V3
    Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

I know i am going to be the lone wolf on sado mountain. But bit disappointed the graphics are still a bit less than enthralling.

Of course all the other new stuff is brilliant.

Cannot remember how to do half the stuff, as it's been so long.

Got my Amtrak up and running though. Thanks to help from a member on The Depot, with consist formations.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Well, for me this version has provided what I wished for in v2......AI despatching.
    That sold it to me instantly Bruce.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I've yet to spend much time inside v3 I just spawned myself at BAR as lonesome me. I've a feeling I'll be somewhat lost for a time, as I've forgotten lots of the steps. I've also noticed the menus / dropdowns when open are really going to be hard for me, due to failing eyesight. The darkness of the background panels & darker blue fonts, really going to do me in. Perhaps at some point a color change in text to white as an option, or the ability to set own colors for font use be something the team may consider in a later update.

As to "Otto". I'm still in the dark just what / whom that is inside the sim itself, sounds popular with the very youngest members.
    The pirate voice got old fast for me, seemed the only way for me to turn him off was to go true full screen.

Otto is the name for the AI dispatcher.

They thought it was more acceptable than AIDS.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    Hmm! pity that a timetable editor is missing and there appears to no real advancement in how the trains spawn or freight car managment, that would have gone a long way towards more protypical running with a purpose.

Watched NSHorseheadSD70's video with his first look at V3 and the Calwa crossing on the BNSF Bakersfield Sub has been upgraded for expansion on the Union Pacific side so that would indicate that the UP Fresno Subdivision is coming and adding on to the Fresno Subdivision are the rumours of Martinez subdivision and Roseville Subdivision (Donner Pass).
    Donner Pass would have *huge* implications for eastward expansion (considering Chicago has about a billion subs connecting to it) as well as Seligman. The Waycross route seems like it would eventually get to Birmingham down the line, so maybe a few years from now we’ll get closer to a complete east-west combined route. That is unless another developer comes along to do the North Transcontinental Railroad which would be fun too.

I’ve played with it for a couple of hours, but it’s nice having some AI traffic on the line and not having to worry about signaling them through their destination while I’m doing the Y-BK50 local on a “blank” world. I’ve always liked building things from the ground-up. Plus, having to tone the dispatcher is a nice touch.
    Last edited by Logan37; 01-26-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Otto is the name for the AI dispatcher.

They thought it was more acceptable than AIDS.

Mike.

I did read that in the notes.

Not sure if I've found a bug moments ago 4th time happened. While flying around the world on the Ultralite, the view will suddenly drop back down to ground level, pirate's voice returns, then, trying to use LeftShift+F12 to get back to CameraFreeFly mode once again does nothing. I've tried to toggle through the F4 followed by LeftShift+F12 modes still same results.
    Perhaps I've indeed missed an important step.

I don't believe any of my former v2 saves, worlds, trains, various setups carried over to v3. Didn't see any of them in the 3 regions CA/FL/NY. Perhaps there too may need to manually move them. I've yet to read all the various PDFs / Notations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    I've yet to spend much time inside v3 I just spawned myself at BAR as lonesome me. I've a feeling I'll be somewhat lost for a time, as I've forgotten lots of the steps. I've also noticed the menus / dropdowns when open are really going to be hard for me, due to failing eyesight. The darkness of the background panels & darker blue fonts, really going to do me in. Perhaps at some point a color change in text to white as an option, or the ability to set own colors for font use be something the team may consider in a later update.

As to "Otto". I'm still in the dark just what / whom that is inside the sim itself, sounds popular with the very youngest members.
    The pirate voice got old fast for me, seemed the only way for me to turn him off was to go true full screen.
    Scott make sure the DOT is green and you won't have to listen to him.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    I think Run8 has lots of potential and is going to be great for the majority of people. Yesterday I was conflicted and I still am based on some changes of what I like to run. For me I'm not ready to take the leap just yet because of a few things that I'll be waiting to see.

1) On the website it shows new regions. I assume they are being created or will be created in the future? The fact that we have an AI dispatcher (more about that in a moment) really helps in single player and smaller server activity on a larger network.

2) What I can't find addressed as mentioned is the timetable or ways to switch a bigger network with all this traffic. I figured the AI hump was coming as John mentioned it once apon a time.

3) This still takes some setup and a system to keep track of car movements. I had a system in RTS that counted the bowl tracks but I'm not even sure if V3 can show switch lists like V2 could to populate a spreadsheet with what is in each track. I'm not talking about what Run8 does now as I'm not sure since I don't own it or have access to all the manuals.

4) I take it AI trains can be brought to a certain destination. I noticed something mentioning special areas or something people can create. If those areas include optional pathing into a yard that would be a huge bonus, but I kind of doubt that for some reason.

Thanks

Sean
    Sean
    There are so many great changes in V3 it might be worth checking out.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Further to the above about saves....whether it be Extra-board or Trains.

There are a lot of both in the respective lists in v3....all carried over from v2. Some go back to 2017.
    However, not all will be any good.
    I loaded three in a row and each had no tracks appearing.
    The fourth one I tried was fine, and it dated back to 2019.

So it will be a matter of trial and error, methinks, with some working fine and others needing to be scrapped.
    Bruce
    Your correct in that some of the older sessions will work but in places with track changes like Barstow or West Colton or Selkirk or Dewitt those saves will be fubared. The best way to do it is load the saves and see what you get. It will when loading on the top left corner count off the trains loading and when that stops check on your DS screens for pink track sections as those are manual switches open. Close all those and then resave the session and good to go. I have managed to get about 90% of V2 sessions working and the same with saved trains from V2.
    Work Safe play hard