Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Purchase?

Default Game Purchase?

Considering purchasing Run 8 but their website doesn't seem to have answers to some of my questions. Hoping someone can assist.

How many routes does the base game have?

What advantages in Run 8 over TSW when considering purchase?

Is Run 8 community supported, such as add-ons and moding?

Are Devs active with needed updates?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT.FUBAR View Post
    Considering purchasing Run 8 but their website doesn't seem to have answers to some of my questions. Hoping someone can assist.

How many routes does the base game have?

Is Run 8 community supported, such as add-ons and moding?

Are Devs active with needed updates?

Thank you.
    1) The routes included with the initial purchase are shown on their website but, in essence, it's Bakersfield-Tehachapi-Mojave-Barstow.
    2) A higher degree of realism (physics/dynamics) and more operational scope.
    3) No modding other than sounds, really. Community support is limited.
    4) "Needed updates"? Not sure what you mean by "needed".
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Agree with 1)
    2) I'll add in MP, AI Hump & Dispatching
    3) Support from the community is available in many places. I try my best to help here, and my Discord is available. YouTube has daily streams. Other busier forums listed in the community tab as well as sticky notes in this section can be of great help.
    4) If you mean do they update absolutely.

Thanks

Sean
    Rail Transport Systems for Run8 Train Simulator V3
    Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

Routes Included: UP Mojave Sub from Bakersfield CA to Barstow, BNSF Mojave Sub, Barstow, & BNSF Needles Sub to Needles CA.

Advantages: To many to list. Easier question to answer, 'What is the advantage of TSW over Run8?' Only thing I can come up with is the trees and grass look good......

Is Run8 community Supported: Not sure what you're asking. Updates are plentiful--V2 had 9. The source code is locked tight with no ability to add to routes or model anything but horns.

I would agree with most of the above, but Run 8 does not offer the structured timetable operation or scripted scenarios that TSW2 does (very well). You essentially have to build your own game/roleplay. And it doesn't have the good looks of TSW either.

Each to their own. I enjoyed Run 8 V3 on release but found the shine came off very quickly and I'm now back doing UK passenger and freight runs in TSW, where the physics aren't as bad as some might have you believe. And that's the other thing about Run 8, it is 100% North American railroading, primarily the west as mentioned and a few routes in New York State and Florida. Nothing to represent other parts of the wider world.
    Vern.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Sorry for not being more clear with my questions, but, you have answered my questions. When I was asking about "needed updates", I was referring to issues with bugs and so forth.

Am I understanding correctly that the game is sandbox in some respect?

Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Sorry for not being more clear with my questions, but, you have answered my questions. When I was asking about "needed updates", I was referring to issues with bugs and so forth.

Am I understanding correctly that the game is sandbox in some respect?

Thanks again.
    Run8 Studios is very good about addressing and fixing bugs and release updates to fulfill those fixes. Version 2 had 9 updates throughout its lifetime, and I think V1 had around the same number. Needless to say if it's a known bug they do their best to fix it.

Run8 is indeed a sandbox, the opportunities are limitless on what you can accomplish. There are no scripted scenarios, so you won't be passing the same train every time you play. While not having scripted structured scenarios is off putting for some the majority of users are quite happy with the freedom of the sandbox.
    David
    Highball Run 8 - Operations Team
    http://www.Highballrun8.com

to add to what David said... Run8 allows you to create your own scenario's from local operations to over the road trains. It is more real life and keeps getting better and yes if might not have that eye candy that some want but it comes pretty close. It also is not a PHD sim so be creative anbd enjoy. With V3 it has taken even single player to a new level and or a small group of people who want to have their own sessions and start from nothing and build it up. From V1 to V3 is like apples and oranges..so enjoy and not everything is for everyone.
    Work Safe play hard

-Abilty to merge routes in region, ie Socal mainline run From Fresno CA to Kingman AZ is approx 440mi. From Fresno To LA 220mi
    -All routes and rolling stock are compatible with Latest version
    - Any piece of rolling stock can be placed any where anytime in any config/loaded or partially loaded/unloaded ,with no outside editing software
    -Ability to create spawn point and and spawn any train AI or Player anywhere at any time. With no outside editing software
    - Ability to place interactive industry that can service any piece of rolling stock anywhere at any time
    -Dispatching Screen- the ability to change any switch anywhere at any time as well as being able to use all trackage that is in the regions you have installed.
    -working defect detectors
    -RailDriver is native to Run8 meaning plug and play
    - Ability to change and edit the industries/trains/time/weather on the fly with a "Save" feature that works all the time every time

As Northern Warrior pointed out and I will elaborate on- Run8 is an "operations sim" Based in North America focused primarily in freight with a bit of passenger ops. There is no scoring no trophy's no collectables.
    I guess a win could be successfully getting over the Tehachapi pass and down Cajon to La with a 11000 ton, mile and a half long train with out busting a knuckle or putting the train on its side
    If you are in to simulating real world freight ops, run8V3 is a no brainer!

It can be thrilling to get those meets scheduled. Single track is challenging You have to decide where a meet will happen and try not to have trains waiting long periods of time. Double-track isn't boring either. A train with 3hp/t will catch up to a 2hp/t train. So you have decide if and when to use a siding to permit a pass without clogging your opposite track. I haven't played SoCal in V3 long enough to see if OTTO makes those kinds of decisions. I spent hours in TSRE and MSTS editor trying to get trains to simply interact with one another. It's an everyday thing in Run8.

For singleplayer, with some work, you can hop into the game and decide if you want to work the yard, switch some industries, or take a train across the map. Multiplayer pretty much offers the same from my understanding. There is a focus on realism, but it's your world. You can run routes as you see fit.