Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An observation

Quote Originally Posted by Logan37 View Post
    From what I’ve seen and heard about, as long as your train is tagged appropriately then OTTO should route you through although it still may have you wait in a siding if there’s an oncoming AI train with higher priority (which makes sense and is realistic.) Of course, when you get to the point of having to use throw switches, you’d have to request mainline control when you’re within that block. I haven’t tested it myself on trains with local destination tags as far as OTTO goes (mainline trains like Q-BARLAC or whatever work that way at least), so I’m definitely interested in seeing how it all turns out.

I’ve only done some work with the Y-BK50 local near Bakersfield, but that was pretty simple because there were no AI trains around at the time, and I just needed OTTO to route me through to the point where the industries are. Then, I just had to request mainline authority once I got there so I could do some switching. I’d have to try something more complex later, but then again I also want to try the AI humping feature too. There’s so much to do.
    You can also go to the DS screen say in Barstow and turn the switch blue then from the ground you can throw it. Now if Otto has a train lined in your going to have to wait or a quick way take Otto down throw the switch. Otto remembers his last commands to trains or any route he has given a train.
    Work Safe play hard

Does Otto route you out of Barstow bein power switches controlled from the CTC board? I thought I watched on a Russian video the other night where they did indeed have to make it blue throw the switch, but everything was cleared beyond it by Otto.

I recently removed V2 from my hard drive to make room for other things last fall. So I've to make some more room and remove other stuff then reach for my wallet. I'm leaning towards my wallet. There are so many good things I have that I don't run anymore and I do miss at times. For me these things take dedication to get what I want out of them.

Thanks

Sean
    Rail Transport Systems for Run8 Train Simulator V3
    Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

Quote Originally Posted by Logan37 View Post
    From what I’ve seen and heard about, as long as your train is tagged appropriately then OTTO should route you through although it still may have you wait in a siding if there’s an oncoming AI train with higher priority (which makes sense and is realistic.) Of course, when you get to the point of having to use throw switches, you’d have to request mainline control when you’re within that block. I haven’t tested it myself on trains with local destination tags as far as OTTO goes (mainline trains like Q-BARLAC or whatever work that way at least), so I’m definitely interested in seeing how it all turns out.

I’ve only done some work with the Y-BK50 local near Bakersfield, but that was pretty simple because there were no AI trains around at the time, and I just needed OTTO to route me through to the point where the industries are. Then, I just had to request mainline authority once I got there so I could do some switching. I’d have to try something more complex later, but then again I also want to try the AI humping feature too. There’s so much to do.

Logan, you can also try this. Say you want to do the Boron local from Barstow. Otto is working hard at keep things messed up typical DS but select your local and before you tone up Otto go to Boron and select the white line Boron siding and click on that. It should give you a thin green line around the siding now. Okay go back to your train and then tone up Otto and when he answer and gives you permissions he will also line you for the area you selected and when you enter the siding he will give you another message. You can do this with a road train also by selecting a yard track or even a siding but he won't once you have toned Otto. If you are running already tone Otto and cancel routing. Wait a minute then go select the place you want then retone Otto and he'll see your selection. If all this fails then thats typical of a DS.
    Work Safe play hard

That's an interesting find. So basically we can select where we want at least the player train to go. Do we know if this saves over between sessions or whether you have to select the track again each time you re-load?

Information might be worth adding to a sticky and making known at The Depot, if not already done so.

Edit: Also does it over-ride whatever routing info the DS might glean from your train headcode/description?
    Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 01-27-2022 at 12:20 PM.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    Logan, you can also try this. Say you want to do the Boron local from Barstow. Otto is working hard at keep things messed up typical DS but select your local and before you tone up Otto go to Boron and select the white line Boron siding and click on that. It should give you a thin green line around the siding now. Okay go back to your train and then tone up Otto and when he answer and gives you permissions he will also line you for the area you selected and when you enter the siding he will give you another message. You can do this with a road train also by selecting a yard track or even a siding but he won't once you have toned Otto. If you are running already tone Otto and cancel routing. Wait a minute then go select the place you want then retone Otto and he'll see your selection. If all this fails then thats typical of a DS.
    I’ll try it out! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    That's an interesting find. So basically we can select where we want at least the player train to go. ...
    I echo Vern's comments!

There needs to be a User Manual of some description which takes us step-by-step through the procedure. At the moment I'm just groping around in the dark.
    For example....how do I tag a whole train for Wasco? Where do I find the "code" for Wasco? Or do I have to tag the train for an industry at Wasco? If so, where do I find that code?

So many questions!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

questions will soon have answers.....

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    questions will soon have answers.....
    That was helpful.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I echo Vern's comments!

There needs to be a User Manual of some description which takes us step-by-step through the procedure. At the moment I'm just groping around in the dark.
    For example....how do I tag a whole train for Wasco? Where do I find the "code" for Wasco? Or do I have to tag the train for an industry at Wasco? If so, where do I find that code?

So many questions!
    Perhaps view the included PDFs. Surely to take away some good finds. As to tagging you can use own, or, those provided in some of the activities, &, or visit both The Depot & Highball. Even a combination of those & others.

Myself, SMRY have our own we like to use, just need to provide those for Otto to understand their meanings / directions / locations