Thread: Narrower Font For Renumbering UP Locomotives?

Question Narrower Font For Renumbering UP Locomotives?

Attempting to renumber UP locomotives using the "Cityof" font using Paint Shop Pro version 9.

Problem is that the line width appears to be a bit too thick as though the number digits were in bold type! And this doesn't appear to match the line thickness of actual locomotive numbers which appear to be narrower.

There doesn't appear to be option in PSP to reduce the digit line thickness.

So, is there a "narrow" Cityof font available? If not, then is there another "paint" program that allows adjustment of digit line thicknesses?

Not sure if this is the answer your looking for, but UP uses "Futura" font. A medium, or demi thickness should work

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Attempting to renumber UP locomotives using the "Cityof" font using Paint Shop Pro version 9.

Problem is that the line width appears to be a bit too thick as though the number digits were in bold type! And this doesn't appear to match the line thickness of actual locomotive numbers which appear to be narrower.

There doesn't appear to be option in PSP to reduce the digit line thickness.

So, is there a "narrow" Cityof font available? If not, then is there another "paint" program that allows adjustment of digit line thicknesses?
    Hi Peter,

You can control the "Stroke Width" of any font. If setting it to a zero isn't enough - you can make a newer image at a higher resolution - then zero will be even finer - then just copy the image as a raster to paste back on your original.

Image2.jpg

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rrdiesel87 View Post
    Not sure if this is the answer your looking for, but UP uses "Futura" font. A medium, or demi thickness should work
    Thanks, but this font doesn't seem to match the font style actually used on locomotives, according to photos.

scottb613

Thanks.

Even with the stroke width set to zero, the line width is still too wide or too thick.

I was wondering how others renumbered UP locomotives, and what paint software was used.

I'll try to do as suggested, but it seems a bit of a long way around to get the wanted results.

I have had an attempt to make a raster image of the locomotive number on a high resolution canvas, but the number digits are still "too fat". I may have missed something here, but this procedure doesn't seem to work for me.

Maybe I need detailed instructions on how to do this?

Are there any other ways to create the correct digit thickness for the UP locomotive numbers?

And again, I am curious as to how others have renumbered UP locomotives. Anyone explain how this was done, please?

I've always used the CityOf font in a normal setting (not bolded) but with outline applied.

If it is still not to your liking, there's always pixel editing to make it narrower.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments.

The problem is that the Cityof font is just a bit too wide or thick, and it doesn't match the width/thickness of UP locomotive font. I try to be as realistic as possible with renumbering, so that the applied font matches locomotive font.

I have many years ago renumbered some UP locomotives the slow and hard way by basically drawing the numerals/digits by hand, almost literally pixel by pixel! But because this was a very slow process, I didn't get to renumber many locomotives. So I was not keen to do this procedure again!

I had hoped for more constructive and detailed comments from folks, particularly those who had renumbered UP locomotives with the correct font.

Noticed that there are actually two font styles used on the UP locomotives. One is for a thin stroke width font, and the other a thin stroke width that is "narrowed". The standard Cityof font is not suitable for either of these styles.

To that end, I have just now created my own fonts (thin stroke, and thin narrow stroke) which are far more realistic! The fonts contain just the numerals from 0 to 9 inclusive, no letters and no other characters have been included as they are not required (yet).

I'm familiar with many CAD and graphic programs, so drawing fonts was not too difficult. But I had to do a "crash course" on how to actually create and save fonts correctly!

Fonts created based on information from Cityof font and from pictures of UP locomotives.
    Last edited by PeterB; 02-04-2022 at 12:37 AM.

You know... I can tweak a font... kinda my thing.

It would really if you could post a few pictures of what you are looking at... I having trouble visualizing what is giving you concerns...

I mean, I can certainly tweak to make numbers that are less BOLD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pwillard; 02-04-2022 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add image
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    Just Blender now, 3DCrafter only when I have to.
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement