Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New attempt at an old project

Default New attempt at an old project

I have a set of cars I'd like to repaint for a different railroad. I want to keep the original set and add a second set of the repainted cars. If memory serves me correctly, wasn't there something in the shape file that needed to be changed as well? I did it once a long time ago, but memory of what I need to do fails me. Any memory refreshments welcome!

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by notch8 View Post
    I have a set of cars I'd like to repaint for a different railroad. I want to keep the original set and add a second set of the repainted cars. If memory serves me correctly, wasn't there something in the shape file that needed to be changed as well? I did it once a long time ago, but memory of what I need to do fails me. Any memory refreshments welcome!

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

Typically yes. If you want multiple copies in the same directory.

Copy the shape and copy the SD (SD is for MSTS only - ORTS doesn't use it) - renaming everything in both to your new name.

Decompress the shape in RouteRiter.

Open the shape in a text file editor.

Search for ".ACE".

Rename the ACE for the new texture you'll paint.

Save and compress.

Copy the texture to your new name.

Edit your texture as desired.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks Scott, that's what I was looking for (and had forgotten).

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by notch8 View Post
    Thanks Scott, that's what I was looking for (and had forgotten).

Dave
    be sure to share the changes made to the group
    Chimbica Dash8

OK, I must be missing something. I renamed all the files to "X_then the name" so as to distinguish between the two packs of cars I'm using. Decompressed and made the changes to both the S & SD files in relation to both new name and ace files, then re-compressed them For whatever reason, the consist builder doesn't recognize the S files. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, but for the life of me...I can't find it.

Dave

You rename the original file(s) with an X just in case you screw them up when you're working on them and want to start over again with a copy of the original.

Paul :-)

You also made copies of all the .wag files, renamed them to match the shape, and changed the WAGON references in each wag file to match the name as well?

Yes, I did all that. As I'm keeping the original set of cars, basically I'm making a duplicate set in a different paint scheme. Should I change the name to all of the components or just the ace, wag, s and sd files? As an FYI, the set I'm duplicating is a payware set for my own personal use.

I do very few repaints of others rollingstock, I draw whatever I need so have the raw drawings here. In my early days I did repaint someone's caboose for the FJ&G and renamed both files "FJG3", I also opened the WAG file and changed the Wagon at the top to "Wagon ( FJG3". Everything else remained the same, just enough was changed to make it show up in activity editor as FJG3 and work together.

Paul :-)

OK, thanks. I'll give it a shot...maybe monkey around with the names and such - see what happens. I've done repaints and copies before, but it's been awhile since then. I just kept feeling I was missing something in the file aspect.

Dave