Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAVS Spam - Thanks

Default NAVS Spam - Thanks

Hi Erick,

Just a HUGE thank you for your efforts and massive contributions to this hobby.

I finally spent a little time going through your body of work - and - they’re some of the finest models we’ve ever seen in ORTS. Add in your companion sound sets and this is what ORTS was meant to be.The models are incredibly well thought out and easy for a novice painter to get good results. All the details are layered - so all a painter needs to do is worry about paint color, markings, and weathering. We’ve never had it so easy. I could probably crank out a new paint every 10 minutes if I needed to with this setup. While the Goss cars were great for the time - these will be replacing them in my sim. You also graciously make your work available to anyone for anything - I salute you sir.

The only issue is that your hardware looks so damn good - it just makes everything else look bad. I tried importing the source code for your trucks - I’m having issues with the OBJ format conversion in 3DC - I noticed you shared the tank car as a 3DS file - I’ll give that a try to see if I get better results. Perhaps I can do something with Arno’s Shape File Manager from Flight Sim as it can load OBJ.

Anyway - thank you.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 02-12-2022 at 12:14 PM.

I second this. NAVS can spam the library all they want, with that kind of quality.

Downloaded every NAVS upload available file library, including the GP9s.

The rolling stock sounds are amazing, you can even hear the difference between empty and loaded cars of the same type. Using all the loco sounds as well, including the custom sounds for Tyler Bundy's GPs and SDs.

The detail of the truck modelling and the different types is particularly good. Clearly a lot of attention was paid here. The only issue I have with it is that the specular highlight on the wheels don't show on any of the NAVS T104 50' tank cars (the wheels on the 1-bay 8k gallon cars are shiny, as are those with the rest of the NAVS rolling stock). However, the T104 tanks themselves do have specular highlights, where the rest of the NAVS rolling stock does not, so I don't know if that's anything to do with it. I don't know the first thing about skinning or modeling.

Anyway, I liked it so much I built a freight timetable for the Monon '72 route using NAVS rolling stock and Tyler Bundy's C&O, L&N, and IC/ICG locomotives. Finally got it up and running with 44 different custom paths including local runs, with no gridlocks or errors (so far). Just testing and fine-tuning, and waiting to see of NAVS is going to upload any more material.

I might eventually upload it to the file library if there is any interest. It isn't exactly prototypical, took some liberties and had to make a lot of compromises, and I'm aware that some in the community really don't like that sort of thing.

Thank you, NAVS!
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Yep, KUDOS to Erick for his skill and generosity to the community. NAVS payware is available at TigerTrains.com for those new to the community.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

The way Erick had set up the .psd files really broke down painting to a science for me and taught me many thing that I’ve applied to repainting other models. The models, sounds, and modularity of his library is a definite contribution to keeping ORTS going. Thanks Erick, keep it going!

Quote Originally Posted by rrdiesel87 View Post
    The way Erick had set up the .psd files really broke down painting to a science for me and taught me many thing that I’ve applied to repainting other models. The models, sounds, and modularity of his library is a definite contribution to keeping ORTS going. Thanks Erick, keep it going!
    Hi Andrew,

Just nice work on all the paints you do - you're one of the very few who take the time to actually weather cars - something I've spent many hours attempting to perfect myself. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks Scott, its actually much easier than it may appear. I have about 6 different .jpeg and .png files set up as layers in photoshop. I just use various color modes, transformations and opacities until I get the result I'm looking for. Essentially every car uses the same patterns, just applied differently....clean cars just look unnatural to me.

NAVS models are beautiful and I love each and every one of them!
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

I have to agree, Erick does some fantastic work!
    - Chris N.
    So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet, to see the king of the potato people... and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?

Hi Folks,

While I have a bazillion of my own projects to work on - I couldn't resist painting up some of his cars.

ORTS NAVS Paints 1 by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

Very nice Scott.
    I went and darkened the trucks a little when I painted mine.
    These tanks are standouts and should be in everybody's fleet.

Randy