Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conrail

Default Conrail

TrainSimulations has just released a pack of locos in Conrail livery.

Which Open Rails routes are appropriate for the use of these 1980s/1990s locos?
    From the little general knowledge I have of of Conrail I am assuming that they didn't operate in the California/Arizona region, which would rule out using any of TrainSim's routes?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I'm sure others will have more suggestions, but one of the best quality Conrail-appropriate routes available for OR would be the Horseshoe Curve route (although it is quite short).
    ~Sean Kelly~
    MRL Mullan Pass for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass
    SP Shasta Route for Open Rails: In Development / Tracks 100%, Scenery 75%

Sean Thanks for the Conrail Pack. I plan on running them on Horseshoe Curve and the Jersey portion of the PRR Route. Are there plans for some Conrail SD60Ms and SD80MACS ?

There's several choices in addition to Horseshoe Curve. There's Conrail Indy, Blue Comet, L&HR, and even a little bit of the Monon!
    Probably others, too.

Quote Originally Posted by drjayyyy View Post
    Sean Thanks for the Conrail Pack. I plan on running them on Horseshoe Curve and the Jersey portion of the PRR Route. Are there plans for some Conrail SD60Ms and SD80MACS ?
    The only credit I can take for this pack is the physics. Chris and Jason deserve credit for everything else involved.
    ~Sean Kelly~
    MRL Mullan Pass for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass
    SP Shasta Route for Open Rails: In Development / Tracks 100%, Scenery 75%

Okay, Thanks for your contribution.

Thanks for the suggestions, all of you.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I'm always glad for any new OR releases and I purchase most of them. This pack looks like a nice one. My question to TrainSimulations and other freeware and payware providers, though, is this: Why does there seem to be an obsession with producing '70s-'90s content, and almost no interest in producing current generation locomotives? Here is just a partial list of current generation locomotives that have yet to be produced, or have only been produced here or there, mostly as repaints (some of dubious quality):

Canadian Pacific and Canadian National "heritage" locomotives
    Canadian Pacific SD-9043MAC rebuilds
    EMD Tier 4 locomotives
    Ferromex EMD or GE current generation locomotives, other than repaints of older MSTS models

There are also many other MSTS locomotive models out there that have never been replaced or updated since the days of sparse detailing and Fred Flintstone wheels. I realize the lament by many that MSTS/OR is a dying platform with waning interest, but I also think that part of the issue is that payware and freeware providers are also violating a cardinal rule of retailing--"You can't sell out of an empty wagon." I believe that there is still interest out there in new content, but people won't line up to get content that isn't offered.

Modelers build what they know and love. If the people building the models are more connected to those pre 1990s builds, perhaps it's time to get some younger people engaged in modeling.

The newer stuff has little character or difference to me. I look at a new GE and see little outward difference other than the radiators when compared with the Dash 9s we've seen and run a bazillion times.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Nice to see that they've added some individualized weathering on some of these.