Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hello my name is Kyle, nad i have getting more interested on Train Simulator games, specially MSTS.

My i want to question something, wiht my obvious inexperience i don't know how to install trains sets that have alias ( with the .sms) folder on them, like the F40 set 1, P32, P40, P42 nad the GE Hood locomotive Pack.

Could someone help on how install them "perfectly", one of my main issues is that i doesn't have a readme containing how to put it together the right way.

Aliased sound files usually reside in a folder named Common.snd that is in the Trainset folder in the TRAINS folder in the base MSTS install.
    Mine looks like this,

Every model or sound file that uses aliased files will come with a readme that will specify what goes where. Read them and follow the instructions.
    After you've used a few, and screwed up a few, it'll start making sense. It's really not that hard.
    If you are using Openrails, OR will run and give you an error log that will spell out what's wonky and make it relatively easy to fix.
    If you are using MSTS good luck getting it to run at all if there are any mistakes.
    Don't be afraid to mess around. Don't forget to make backups if you're too unsure. It's hard to permanently break anything because you'll always have in install files and can start over.
    Check back in and let us know how it's going. Oh, ain't nothing perfect but we do the best we can and you will too.

Randy

Thanks i'll definelly see what i can do, just one thing. Do i need to put the Commond.snd folder on the trainset? i defienlly know ain't nothing perfect, but i admire the of the community to keep the game alive.

It's a folder in the TRAINSET folder.

Are you using MSTS? Or are you using OpenRails?
    It's been a while since I've dealt with MSTS but I might be able to help w/OR.

Randy

I'm using MSTS

Hum, i'm still waiting for a response

Quote Originally Posted by KYLE SUAREZ View Post
    Hum, i'm still waiting for a response
    Remarks like that piss people off. You'll get an answer when people feel like answering....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Well, what i'll do now.

Hi Randy,
    With respect, that is not a helpful response.
    Switching to Open Rails isn't going to help in any way because the problem seems to be in file/folder hierarchy, which is the same for Open Rails as it is for MSTS.
    ...... and this IS an MSTS Forum!

Cheers,
    Ged