Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Scenes Without Trains - 2022 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Nice scene, Mark!
    Thanks Neil, tryin' to learn from the best.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    Deep in the NJ Pine Barrerns in Chatsworth, NJ in the summer of 1972.
    [B]ROUTE: Blue Comet REDUX 1965-1980 (WIP)
    That is some remarkably-exceptionally fine work...WOW! Take your time to heal, be well, stay healthy and happy...thanks for the update, best to you and yours. One of my favorite routes, very generous of you to take the time to update it.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    That is some remarkably-exceptionally fine work...WOW! Take your time to heal, be well, stay healthy and happy...thanks for the update, best to you and yours. One of my favorite routes, very generous of you to take the time to update it.
    Thanks Gerry.

I could never give up on it with all the previous work I put into it. And yes, I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to details on the route close to the tracks in important areas. I do want to share with it everyone on the forum after it is beta tested & I get a green light it is ready.

I am starting a different area on the route tonight. The barrier island between Bay Head & South Seaside Park. This is going to be interesting because the ROW for the PRR's Atlantic Division turned into the southbound lanes of Route 35. Just going to run the highway parallel to the track like they would have done if the ROW was still there today. Plus all the major landmark that were best known during the era I am doing.

And working on it was great therapy during the height of the pandemic.
    - Mark -

Top notch Mark! The neighborhood homes look really good!
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by tie View Post
    Top notch Mark! The neighborhood homes look really good!
    Thanks Rory,

The houses & garages there were made by Chris Gertach. He made a series of Craftsman Style Kit homes & garages & made them available in the ET download library. They are fantastic in detail.

Ironic Chris made one of the Craftsman Home called the "Ocean Park". My grandfather ordered on back in the late 1930's & built it on a lot of land he leased from the state of NJ for a dollar in Normandy Beach, NJ. The house was sold in 1960 before I was born so I never got to enjoy it. It was next to a Texaco station just like Tim Muir built & released in the ET files too. It was 5 homes from the beach & less than a 1/2 block from the PRR's Normandy Beach Station.

Sadly the house didn't fair well in 2012 with Superstorm Sandy. At the height of the storm, the storm surge pushed the house into the middle of the northbound lanes of Rt. 35. The home swung around breaking in two with the back half of it going into the Atlantic with parts of it washing up near Long Branch nearly 30 miles north. The front half washed out into the Barnegat Bay & sank off of Chadwick Beach.

The great thing is I get to put a bit of my family history on this route with those 2 buildings available to use. Which I think is a cool thing for myself. And the color is almost them same it was in the late 1950's to when they sold it in 1960. Plus the new owners kept it that sandy color until the 1970's so I remember it that color. It was painted blue at the time of its demise.

BTW, the former Texaco building faired well being a masonry building. It just got washed through during the storm & is open today as a car detailing place with its name painted & lit on the old round Texaco sign.
    - Mark -

Nope. Wouldn't want to live too close to the ocean. I'll take the midwest prairies thank you
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by tie View Post
    Nope. Wouldn't want to live too close to the ocean. I'll take the midwest prairies thank you
    Totally agree Rory! Im in North central NC strategically. Far enough from the hurricanes! Not a mountain person..... lil hilly.....is good!I miss the midwest farm country.......Looking to go back soon!
    CG

I'm more a mountain guy, grew oldish in Calgary. Now living in Central Virginia, but you have no idea how much I want to move to an inland Pacific Northwest environment
    - Chris N.
    So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet, to see the king of the potato people... and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?

A couple of shots in Canada.

I should've posted these yesterday.
    ~~~~~~

Route: Shuswap (Modified).

MK