Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: V3 Update Wish List

Hopefully John can get the Special Locations editor to work for U5. It would be great if there was a Special Locations option for an AI train to stop for a set amount of time, then delete itself. Very helpful for busy passenger operations in the LA area.

Yeah adding is no problem, but being able to see or edit what is already out there would be really cool.

Thanks

Sean
    Weekly YouTube & Daily Train Simulation & Prototype Content
    Playing And Talking About What I Like
    Discord https://discord.gg/zfxTBbnu3K
    YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf4794 View Post
    I've also adjusted the AI mixed-freight train blocking to dirty it up a bit.
    This will be great!

On Roseville I've been experimenting with tagging locals into "sublocals" I have about 10 different "sublocals" under LRA61 - I've noticed when new mixed freights are spawned, it seems to go local by local, meaning the whole inbound train is practically pre-sorted, it'll be nice to see this randomized a bit!

Back on the subject of routes, one I would like to see represented in a graphical sim is Corbin to Etowah from old Trainmaster 3. ISTR there were some fairly steep gradients and if map are anything to go by, ran through some nice country too. Probably similar style to Clinchfield.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf4794 View Post
    I've also adjusted the AI mixed-freight train blocking to dirty it up a bit.

John G.
    One other thing to add (appologies if I'm repeating ideas) the ability of having a train have both through traffic and local traffic would be very beneficial. For example I'm trying to start up a territory out of SBD. As far as I'm aware the only train that serves it manifest wise is M-SDGBAR & M-BARSDG as i'm not sure if M-BARSBD or M-SBDBAR exists any longer.

It would be cool to have say a block at the head end for locals and the tail end have the random stuff that would go the rest of the way as through traffic.

The only way I've found to get this to work is what I call fake industries where I create a couple industries for SDG and ask for the various load and empty types.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to update 5 regardless as I'm sure it will be cool.

Thanks

Sean

Perhaps at the very least 2 AI Dispatchers. 1 for Mainline duties, 1 for Yd Limits, esp. busy locations such as BAR / WC, along with the other regional hump locations RV / GA, NY. The Yd. Limit DS, user able to turn off/on at will without effecting the AI-Dispatcher for mainline.

Also, would like to see the "Generator Field" switch included on the exterior quick popup panel along with the other functions already there.

Having got back into the game the last couple of evenings I definitely think the "missing link" needs to be added, i.e. the line from Palmdale down through Soledad Canyon, San Fernando then Newhall Tunnel direct into the LA Basin. Pre Metrolink a fair bit of traffic to/from the LA Basin which didn't need staging at West Colton ran this way. Post Metrolink an ideal opportunity to bring in more refined passenger operations and some Metrolink stock, if they can get the licence. (Mind I hate driving from cab cars, unless they buff up the track sounds a bit. Dreary as heck in TSW on SF Peninsula or the Boston route).
    Vern.

I like the dirty up and mixing the manifests now. Unfortunatley I'm in an operation right now where I don't get to experience it that much. This idea I know I haven't mentioned before (can't say that for every post here) but is really not important to me but certainly something to consider.

In additon to the local and through traffic option for a train, I'd like to see a blocking option. So assuming if there was a mixed train of both local and through traffic, or even a train that has just local drop offs such as Florida, blocking would be more important. In other words having an advanced blocking such as a field beside the filter.

For example if Locals for IND A-D where in Jacksonville, E-F was further east (wow I can't remember the yards now), G-H was further east again, then finally I-L was in Orlando. Each industry in the filter would have an OPTIONAL field beside it that would allow a block number if not blank or 0. So I could assign block 1 to A-D industry filters, 2 to E-F filters, 3 to G-H filters, and 4 to I-L filters.

This would help a non manually blocked train the opportunity to act built from a yard spawning further down the line to be built to allow proper mainline work at intermediate yards to take place.

Thanks

Sean

Note if I've mentioned this one before PLEASE DELETE, though I'm going to spend the time here to be very detailed in my idea. My meds simply can't remember though it's something I've talked about quite a bit on my channel and some of my other ambitions this year.

AI SWITCHING

V2 first gave us AI which was a huge change for Run8. V3 brought AI humping and to my suprise AI dispatching which again has been a huge change. I'm not sure if this is something worth of a V3 update but I would love to see it in Run8 as it would open up single player and small servers even more than V2 and now V3 has brought to us.

AI switching would be an advanced system of rules such as what track can be used for what, possibly priority of tracks, and the overall handing of pick-up, set-off, build, block, etc. Like otto and other AI options it could evolve and improve over time. We already have AI trains able to yard themselves in major receiving yards. But it could expand from there. It could even give an expanded use for the conductor that shows up and simply is there for eye candy and nods off from time to time

ARRIVING OR WORKING TRAINS (1st phase this is always the 1st step in getting cars off a mainline train to a yard or local)
    1) Trains are able to stop, switch the main switch to enter a yard, and restore to normal once entered.
    2) Trains have filters to set-off certain traffic can assign to either specific tracks or goup of tracks/yard that is user defined.
    3) If continuing train can pick-up certain cars meeting set criteria also based on tags, and if those cars are present.
    4) Departing train can request a signal to leave a yard, authority to enter main track (and restoring any switches).
    5) Power if terminating can disconnect and park in available track or assigned service area.

YARD WORK (2nd phase - used to sort and build locals or outbound cuts)
    1) Train depending on assignment (probably manually activated unless an advanced schedule is available in the future) would search specific tags to build up locals or outbound cuts. The switcher would then work the yard and perform those tasks if AI tasked to do so.
    2) Onces traffic is sorted by specific trains and or cuts could further block if required and specified in advanced settings.

BUILDING TRAINS (3rd phase)
    1) Once assigned train would choose from an available pool and/or track specified to add power to a track or tracks and build a train.
    2) The power required would be based on normal assignment (ie yard switcher, mainline, etc.) and would also meet minimum HPT requirements
    3) Once the train is build the train could relinquish and wait for an AI command within the yard for a departing train similar to a train working in phase 1 above.

LOCALS (4th phase)
    1) assigned local train can be AI to work industries.
    2) pick-up cars at industries that are ready and spot cars at industry tracks for loading or unloading.
    3) perform run arounds at designated areas as required by the job

Again all of this can be built over time and honestly could warrant a 4th version on this alone down the road. It would be the ultimate because any territory regardless of size could then slowly be automated or assist in a bigger operation. I understand that AI takes up resources for calculations, measuring distances, clearance points etc. Just a bucket list to work on if interested.

Thanks

Sean

AI CALL FOR HELP

Something would be nice for both current AI and any future AI is a call for help when they are stuck or confused. For example a cornfield meet with current OTTO to alert the player that something is wrong and needs a human to try and sort out. Not sure exactly how OTTO decides on a routing but it would be nice if OTTO can detect an issue before the cornfield so manual intervention and the human touch can lend a helping hand.

Thanks

Sean