Thread: Windows 10 Install

Default Windows 10 Install

I needed to re-install MSTS on my Windows 10 laptop, but ran into a problem when using Disk 2. My set is about 20 years old, and has been used for countless installs, no problems - until now. When inserting Disk 2, the load slowed to a crawl, 30 - 45 seconds per file. Having read many posts about problems with Disk 2, I figured mine had finally succumbed to whatever plagues Disk 2.

I tried cloning the disk even though I thought I might be cloning the error that caused it to not work, but it was worth a try. No luck.

During the cloning process, I noticed that things seemed to go south if Explorer tried to open the CD when inserted in the drive (one of my computers automatically opens with Explorer, the other doesn't). It seemed as though sometimes the drive would read the disk with no problems, other times it struggled.

During the 3rd or 4th attempt at an install with cloned disks, I tried opening the CDROM drive and closing it, hoping that the drive might start reading the disk with no problems.

That's when I noticed that the install process (with Disk 2) took off as expected, until the Explorer window opened, at which point things slowed to a crawl again. I went into settings and changed the autoplay settings to "do nothing." Reinserted the CD, and what do you know, the install proceeded like gangbusters. Finished in a couple of minutes, everything works just fine, appears that there is nothing wrong with my Disk 2 after all.

Thought this might help someone trying to install on Windows 10...
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

Hi Jeff,
    It's a problem that's been known ever since the later versions of Win 7, although with that OS it was surmountable. I'm sure I've posted a possible solution here before, but can't find it!!

The problem is caused because the Disk2 contains SecureDisk/Rom protection and Win 10 doesn't contain drivers to process it. If you really 'cloned' the disk, I don't know how it worked, but if you just copied the folders & files off Disk 2 into a hard disk folder and then wrote the contents of that folder to a new CD, then that would work because the security data wouldn't have been copied.

My preferred method is to copy the contents of both CDs into one hard drive folder (allowing the one common file to overwrite, or not, as you choose). Using WinCDemu (https://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/), create an .iso file from the folder. You can then use Win 10 to burn this .iso file to a DVD (it's too big for a CD!), or, better still, back up the .iso file somewhere safe. Win 10 can mount and run .iso files just as if they were CDs/DVDs, only they run a lot faster!! You still run setup.exe, although I recommend "as administrator".

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to give that a try, just as backup procedure.

I did actually clone the disk, not just copy the files, once with Roxio and a second clone (when the Roxio disk didn't work) with CloneCD, which I had read about here in an old post. I'm not sure whether the CloneCD disk works, I switched back to the original disk 2 when the process was proceeding at a snail's pace. I need to try it out and see whether it actually works. More experimentation needed - and I want to try your procedure.
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

Seconding the copy-contents-to-folder method.

The best solution is to just copy all the contents of both disks into just one folder. Windows will ask you if you want to overwrite one or two files when copying from the second disk -- it's fine; go ahead with overwriting. Those files have nothing to do with MSTS itself.

When you run the MSTS installer from the folder, it will be just like installing from CD -- except that you won't have to switch disks. The installer will just continue through to the end, uninterrupted. As always, be sure to change the install path to someplace other than "Program Files". And unless you really want an outdated version of Adobe Reader, you can skip that "helpful" offer too.

My advice is also to make a .zip file backup of the folder containing the copied MSTS installer files. Then you'll have a somewhat smaller copy that you can make redundant backups of for safekeeping. Put the CD's away in a safe somewhere, just in case.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Open Rails and MSTS blog -- Back on the Web as of December 2021