Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move Quadtree - populated tiles state - to a new route?

Default Move Quadtree - populated tiles state - to a new route?

Hi Folks,

Question - where is the quadtree stored? I'd like to take the quadtree from one route to start a new route - so it creates the same tiles as the original - without any content. A blank slate if you will.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

Wouldn't you just create a new route, then replace the World and Tile folders with the route you have? If you've saved one of the first backups for the route that had a minimum of track, then you have "fresh ground", if not, then you terrain would have cut and fills where you've altered the terrain from adding track and roads.

Paul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Hi Scott,

Wouldn't you just create a new route, then replace the World and Tile folders with the route you have? If you've saved one of the first backups for the route that had a minimum of track, then you have "fresh ground", if not, then you terrain would have cut and fills where you've altered the terrain from adding track and roads.

Hi Paul,

This is my endless tinkering with the LHR. I took the time with Rich's LHR - to mod the route to make sure I had added enough tiles for both normal tiles and DM tiles to insure that the user was protected from ever seeing off the edge of the world. I don't think Rich had the best resolution terrain when he made his route - as I've noticed some pretty substantial elevation issues when I reloaded elevation data on some of his tiles from our best available. So my first step is to create the route terrain with the best elevation data we have available. I was hoping to save a little time by somehow porting the quadtree I modified on Rich's route so I don't have to check all the edges again.

As always - thanks for the interest and help.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

Rich's route is 20 years old, might have been earlier then 1/3 Arch NEDs back then. The first version was the first route I downloaded and installed that actually worked!

About 10 years ago I downloaded the 1/3 Arch NEDs for the Graham County Railroad in North Carolina. When I generated them in Terrain Editor every hill top had a 50 foot "peak" point above it. Sometimes you get lucky with NEDs and sometimes not so much!

Hi Scott,

Rich's route is 20 years old, might have been earlier then 1/3 Arch NEDs back then. The first version was the first route I downloaded and installed that actually worked!

About 10 years ago I downloaded the 1/3 Arch NEDs for the Graham County Railroad in North Carolina. When I generated them in Terrain Editor every hill top had a 50 foot "peak" point above it. Sometimes you get lucky with NEDs and sometimes not so much!

Hi Paul,

Yep - completely understand - I've ran Rich's LHR probably more than any other route. I've been tinkering with it for years - added terrain and track down to Easton. It's just at the point where if I'm going to put in the time to do track work - might as well do it on a clean slate. I want a track system with a berm - I'm leaning towards US3.

USGS's National Map has Geotiff's available again that will load in DEMEX without editing - they are all around 500MB now (big chunks). 1/3 ArcSec is everywhere. They have limited coverage at 1/9 ArcSec - for the LHR it's only from Easton to Belvidere - no coverage elsewhere. The 1/9 ArcSec around the quarries of Martins Creek make them look incredible - I wish I had it for the full route. The 1/9 ArcSec comes in tiny irregular chunks and DEMEX can only merge two before it chokes on memory issues - a bit of a PITA - but the results are stunning.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 03-16-2022 at 05:16 PM.

1/9 Arc sure would be nice to use. Now if you could get DEMs that accurate and plot markers in Goolge Earth that was accurate at the same time that would be great. When I was doing the DAR the markers turned out the be 14 degrees skewed so it really didn't matter how accurate the terrain was.

1/9 Arc sure would be nice to use. Now if you could get DEMs that accurate and plot markers in Goolge Earth that was accurate at the same time that would be great. When I was doing the DAR the markers turned out the be 14 degrees skewed so it really didn't matter how accurate the terrain was.

Hi Paul,

My intentions are to use TSRE and “Load Maps” for all the tiles - instead if markers. While much of the LHR track has been torn up - whatever map source TSRE uses has a track line on it for the LHR. I’m hoping it’s a accurate. From my testing with 1/9 ArcSec DEM - the track roadbeds are raised - and it seems to coincide with the track lines on the map. LOL - we’ll see.

Regards,
    Scott

Never tried Load Maps Scott. Maybe when I'm finished the ONR route I'll do some more experimenting with TSRE.

Never tried Load Maps Scott. Maybe when I'm finished the ONR route I'll do some more experimenting with TSRE.

Hi Paul,

Sounds good.

Super Easy:

[F3]
    Click on [Load Map] to highlight button.
    Click on desired tile - new map dialog opens.
    Click on [Load] to download map for that tile.
    I then click on [Save to Disk] - optional.
    Close the map dialog window.
    Click on [Make Tile Texture From Map] to highlight button.
    Then [Double Click] on the tile you just downloaded the map for.

Repeat for every tile you want mapped.

No sizing or orientation needed - places the map perfectly on the tile - then you can place track, roads, and buildings - right on the map. Even I can do that - LOL.

This is Martins Creek heading up the old LNE towards Bangor on 1/9 ArcSec Terrain.

MartinsCreek by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

So you don't have to go find NED maps, it does that for you or goes to a server by itself?