Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MTL Niagara Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by scamel View Post
    It shows build v0.6958.

That came from Trainsimulations web site, correct? While it comes with a nice package installer (something goku never provided), which is easy for newbies to get up and running and start creating consists, that version is quite old with respect to route editing needs and doesn't even have the shape viewer replacement component, either.

0.7012 is the most current.

I wish TS would update that installer, and provide a third icon for shape viewer, but then again their business goal is to sell their routes, not enable others by handing out newer more competent versions of TSRE.

In the meantime, I started with the TS installer, but then upgraded the TSRE folder "guts" to more current versions which required editing the two batch files to reflect the newer version number and adding a third desktop icon for shape viewer.

Well there was my problem!

Thanks everyone! We're up and running with far fewer problems now. I even converted a few of the .ace files to .dds for the missing textures.

Andrew Underwood

I should also note, this is all a skill building exercise before I take on my massive project of Halifax to Moncton. Three subdivisions totalling nearly 200 miles. I've been lobbying MTL, TS and others for years, it's time to make it happen on my own!

Andrew Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by scamel View Post
    I should also note, this is all a skill building exercise before I take on my massive project of Halifax to Moncton. Three subdivisions totalling nearly 200 miles. I've been lobbying MTL, TS and others for years, it's time to make it happen on my own!
    Great news and good for you to take on such a great task. The Dominion-Atlantic in Nova Scotia is great, now another possibility of an added Canadian Route with a huge variety of traffic, when it was a major player.
    Kudos to you to take this on!

This is why I just stick to Activity creation. Modifying existing Routes usually will get you REALLY jammed up if you omit the smallest thing or are not used to doing it. Some of the people here who are a whiz at Route-Creation{NOT ME!!!} can probably walk you back. If,no matter what you do,the problem persists then take your "Activities" Folder and put it in a temporary location on your computer,delete the Route and then re-install the Original. Hope it works out and dont get discouraged. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Great news and good for you to take on such a great task. The Dominion-Atlantic in Nova Scotia is great, now another possibility of an added Canadian Route with a huge variety of traffic, when it was a major player.
    Kudos to you to take this on!
    Thanks! I worked on that stretch of track for a brief period. I am familiar with every mile of it!

Paul did an awesome job on the DAR route. I really enjoyed testing that for him when he was working on it.

In other news, I'm happy to report that the Niagra skill-building project is progressing nicely! I had only really intended to upgrade the scenery items, but the track around the London station struck me as needing to be revised a bit which increased the scope of the project a bit, but overall it's been good. I haven't been successful in getting animated switch stands to work (using the ones from TS's Ruel Sub, I really like them), nor have I been successful in getting the signals to link (but they work anyway). So far it's actually been a fun puzzle to sort out.

I have even managed to run a train, so I haven't broken it too badly yet!

Andrew Underwood

Default MLT Niagara Rebuild

Yes, the track layout does leave something to be desired. I did an upgrade to a lot of the scenery on NC, and when you go to place items near the rails, you see where the tracks are not in the correct places or spaced properly.
    Overall it is a nice route considering how old it is now. I bought it as soon as it came out, and do still enjoy it. An overall revamp like you are suggesting will go a long ways to improve upon it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I'm having a heck of a time with the animated switch stands, though. I've copied the relevant sections in the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat files and I've got my little test section linked as per the tutorials found on this site. I know they change position because when I set the link to the divering route, the stand turns as it should, but I can't seem to get them to respond when I change the turnout.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out.

Andrew Underwood