Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brick Tunnel Portals

Cool Brick Tunnel Portals

I have searched the library and found a number of portals but none are brick. In
    doing an addition to the Corbin-Knoxville route that is in the library, I am including
    2 branches of Southern Rwy., now NS, recently sold or leased to R. J. Corman.
    These have brick portals on the 8 tunnels involved.

If one of you wishes to create one, the Japanese portals would be a start as these
    are the older style that tapers so that lateral clearance is less at the bottom that at
    the spring line (point where roof curve starts). As no double stack or excess
    Plate C equipment was ever allowed, a clearance of 25 feet above the rail is okay.

J. H. Sullivan
    aka landnrailroader

Do you have a picture?

Here are two brick textures I use. I had to resize them to load here. You can double the size of each with no issues.Brick.bmp[ATTACH]Brick1.bmp
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK...One more time with the second textureBricks_002.bmp

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    OK...One more time with the second textureBricks_002.bmp
    Hi Folks,

With brick textures in general - suggest lower the contrast and add mipmaps - bricks are our worst Moire offenders.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

With brick textures in general - suggest lower the contrast and add mipmaps - bricks are our worst Moire offenders.

Regards,
    Scott
    Those two textures I've used on a lot of my models for both MSTS/OR and Railworks. They work well for me and I don't do anything special with them. I don't mess with the contrast or add mipmaps on these. I do understand where you're coming from Scott. I can't tell you how many brick textures I've tried over the years with a mixed bag of results.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

There are some very nice brick tunnel portals over at UK Trainsim.Look in the "scenery" section of the file library

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    Those two textures I've used on a lot of my models for both MSTS/OR and Railworks. They work well for me and I don't do anything special with them. I don't mess with the contrast or add mipmaps on these. I do understand where you're coming from Scott. I can't tell you how many brick textures I've tried over the years with a mixed bag of results.
    Hi,

Hah - glad it's a good one - it looks nice - yep - it sounds like we've seen some of the same textures.

Regards,
    Scott

Most of the portals at UKTrainsim are for double track but there was one which I will try that is single track. The best picture
    of one of the portals in question is in TRAINS magazine a few months back which shows a train coming out of Cumberland Gap Tunnel and it would be useful since you can clearly see that the clearances are tight. Although this tunnel was not on the ARCO coal train route, 5 similar, but shorter, tunnels were and the first time we went up there to measure track geometry we were concerned about the clearances for the R-1 car, especially the bay windows. They cleared by less than 4 inches so we went through the tunnels very slow.
    If someone is interested in creating a correct SR (initially L&N) brick portal, you can contact me privately and I will scan the magazinie but otherwise it is copyrited and so I don't want the image out everywhere.

Is it this one?
    cgap.JPG

Edit: This one is part of the Cercanias route. Not sure where I got it.
    tun.JPG
    Last edited by rdayt; 04-06-2022 at 10:30 AM.