Thread: New to Train Sim

Default New to Train Sim

I have Open Rails with a couple of routes downloaded. I have the original Microsoft Train Sim which of course doesn't work on Win 10. Is there a way to get the routes, trains etc. off the disk to use in ORTS?
    Thanks, Gary

We assume you have attempted to install MSTS according to the updated instructions here

https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...sts_win10.html

That being said, aside from scenery assets contained in the original disk routes that are used by batch files that users stumble upon when downloading and installing other freeware routes from the library, there literally is zero value in any other content contained on the original MSTS disks. There isn't a default cabview, consist, sound set, rolling stock vehicle, anything - - that hasn't been supplanted by better material from elsewhere.

There are some freeware routes in the library that dispelled from using any of the disk assets; those routes have no batch files to run. And it goes without saying that payware routes long ago built for MSTS are self contained and use no default disk assets from the MSTS platters.

Today there really is only one payware company still building new Open Rails routes that depart from MSTS compatibility, and a handful of freeware authors still building MSTS compatible routes, with probably 50% requiring disk assets and 50% providing material free of any disk asset requirements.

Your typical Open Rails user today ends up with 2 primary installations, all accessible from within Open Rails - one labelled "Trainsimulations" for the non-MSTS compatible new payware content, and one usually labelled "1MSTS" (if you followed the tutorial) that contains all the older MSTS compatible payware and freeware routes. Some users may end up with more than the two primary installation branches depending upon how many MSTS routes were installed as mini-routes, but that degree of one-route-per-installation separation is no longer much a requirement these days with Open Rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Buckels View Post
    I have Open Rails with a couple of routes downloaded. I have the original Microsoft Train Sim which of course doesn't work on Win 10. Is there a way to get the routes, trains etc. off the disk to use in ORTS?
    Thanks, Gary

Does that mean you have tried to install MSTS and it did not work?

The files are in CAB files which can be opened like ZIP files. On disk 1 locate the folder "locfiles" extract the files and folders to A folder on your HD as in C:\1MSTS. Next do the same with the folder "locroutes". On disk 2 there are 6 CAB files named Europe1 & 2, Japan 1 & 2, and USA 1 & 2. Extract those to the Routes folder that was created when you extracted the "locroutes" folder.

Now Open the ORTS menue and click on the Options button. Click on the Content tab and add the path to this install as in C:\1MSTS.

FYI this install may not run MSTS by the content can be run in ORTS.
    Charles

Thanks to all, I will try the solutions

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    There isn't a default cabview, consist, sound set, rolling stock vehicle, anything - - that hasn't been supplanted by better material from elsewhere.
    True, but that advice is problematic for a beginner. as the OP clearly states he is. There are lots of locomotives of interest in the library that are going to alias back to the old GP38 sound set and other MSTS defaults. Expecting a newcomer to immediately know how to alias sound and other settings from the get go is probably not very realistic.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer