Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any NS AC44C6M Units?

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Not impugning anyone's work, just pointing out how demand for certain items can become so fervent at times that you could feed someone a rock and they would think it's a banana.
    I am not sure I understand this. Are you trying to say that people are stupid for being happy with little as opposed to having nothing?

I do wonder, at times, whether these imagineered repaints will undercut the sales potential of a proper model from ever appearing. How many of our poor and broke compatriots will accept any "almost model" repaints as good enough to never buy the correct model when it finally appears. And how much that loss gets factored into some vendors decision to never producing the real deal.
    I believe it's the other way around. These repaints are here because we don't have the real things, and I am one of those who believe that something is better than nothing, as long as it is similar enough to the real thing. It's been years now since ET44AC or AC44C6M has hit the rails in North America and there still isn't any proper model available. I, for one, would buy them immediately if they were available. I don't think that vendors are discouraged by the availability of free replacements, but rather by the fact that our community is getting smaller and smaller and they can't sell much of anything.

One vendor did re-release half the UP heritage SD70ace on 55k poly models, but the availability of Danny's 15k poly free stuff does undercut the potential sales of these revamped models.
    I disagree.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    That's right! I have released a set of AC4400's repainted to look like AC44C6M's with proper physics for these locomotives as well. However, as others have pointed out, the model is far from perfect, but this is the best that I could do, since I do not possess any 3D modelling skills

I am still hoping that Trainsimulations will come out one day with a correct AC44C6M, ET44AC and other new and rebuilt locomotives.
    we can only hope that one day they do

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    I am not sure I understand this. Are you trying to say that people are stupid for being happy with little as opposed to having nothing?

I believe it's the other way around. These repaints are here because we don't have the real things, and I am one of those who believe that something is better than nothing, as long as it is similar enough to the real thing. It's been years now since ET44AC or AC44C6M has hit the rails in North America and there still isn't any proper model available. I, for one, would buy them immediately if they were available. I don't think that vendors are discouraged by the availability of free replacements, but rather by the fact that our community is getting smaller and smaller and they can't sell much of anything.

I disagree.
    Of course the old school trains are awesome, but I think the lack of "Modern rolling stock" coming out is what makes our community so small. Open rails is great and I find it hard to move to any other sim but, when you have simulators like Trainz 2019 and Trainz A New Era, and venders like RRmods and CPS coming out with modern day stuff majority of people are probably going to flock towards that because that's what they see on the rails today. For instance, CPS just released a pack of NS sd70ACC rebuilds and RRmods has been killing it when it comes to rolling stock and locomotives. So when people see this compared to Open Rails they are going to gravitate towards this. Nonetheless Open Rails has a great unique community and is in its own lane.

Look at the ES44C4. That model was in high demand by the Trainsim.com echo chamber, much like the T4, 70ACUs, 70ACCs and the like still are.

That model was purposefully buried under the need to spend $53 USD ($35 route, $18 add-on). The in-demand C4 shape was purposely bundled with the add-on and said add-on would not install or run independently as a complete OR locomotive without the base files that were packaged with the route. Is it harsh to dangle a new, in-demand shape at the end of a $53 carrot? Maybe, but I will certainly prefer that over *any* other alternatives employed by these "other sims" with respect to any DRM, Steam, or other PC-invasive techniques and that might be employed some day to help control piracy. What you can probably bank on is harder resiliency of the add-on failing to install without the base route present. And in between these big route releases, you may see periodic packs of existing models (GP40, SD40, etc) that the MILW, Rock, CR, SOU high nose, SP GP40 sets that we just saw produced represent.

I do believe these guys know EXACTLY what they are doing with regards to timing of releases of new in-demand models. And doing so in a way that sheds any links to prior MSTS content and requires increased participation in the replacement OR-only content world. The LaGrande route is supposed to have a C30-7. Maybe some T4s to come with the CN Kingston route. I dunno.

Meanwhile, I feel that the repaint efforts attempting to tackle these holes in content that are craved by the community are misguided. Especially if they start their journey based on older MSTS grade models. Where should that energy be spent? How about FEC or RF&P repaints from the Rock GP40? Or SOO or MOP repaints from the Rock SD40-2, or the CP SD40-2 B-unit brick from the NS hi-nose SD40-2? Or the CP SD40-2M or NYSW SD45 from the MRL SD45? Or GATX/GSCX repaints from the MILW SD40-2? Or the NS and CSX repaints from the CR GP38-2? Or the Guilford or GWI or Watco repaints from the CN GP40-2W? Hell, nobody even attempted to back-date the CEFX SD40M-2s into ratty SP SD40R and SD45R skins from the UP era. All these endless possibilities that aren't getting done because we are busy trying to rush and rig alternatives of hard-to-get items - items that will likely remain buried at the end of another $53 "investment".

Again, this is all just the viewpoint of one individual. Agree or disagree at your whim.

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Robert,
    I think there are a few floating around, but I think they are privately done. I don't know a heck of a whole lot about the AC44C6M program. By the looks, there isn't a heck of a whole lot changes on the body itself. The one thing I am pretty surprised about, is they didn't swap out the bell for the newer E-Bell's, that most newer units are receiving, and older units after their rebuilds.

I'd whip up a 4011 as that seems pretty basic, but again, I really don't know a whole lot about that program, so I don't think I will be venturing outside of my knowledge. Which, besides GP38-2's and GP40-2's, it isn't much! haha

Taking a peek at the SLI NS D9-40CW, and comparing it to the photo of the 4011, yep. there is a significate amount of differences. Probably be a lot easier to work with the UP C44AC model from TS/SLI instead..
    Hi Shawn, Thank you kindly for the offer on the 4011. It's the units with the DC to AC conversion specifically that I'm looking for. I just like the way it looks on the paint scheme. I'm very into the electrical stuff and so that helps LOL.

ac44c6mset1.zip - NS AC44C6M #4000 and #4001
    ac44c6mset2.zip - NS AC44C6M #4002 and #4003
    ac44c6mset3.zip - NS AC44C6M #4004 and #4005

Those are more of a heritage unit type paint scheme. I'm really looking for the more run of the mill NS black and white with the DC to AC Conversion logo on the sides of the cab.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Hi Shawn, Thank you kindly for the offer on the 4011. It's the units with the DC to AC conversion specifically that I'm looking for. I just like the way it looks on the paint scheme. I'm very into the electrical stuff and so that helps LOL.

ac44c6mset1.zip - NS AC44C6M #4000 and #4001
    ac44c6mset2.zip - NS AC44C6M #4002 and #4003
    ac44c6mset3.zip - NS AC44C6M #4004 and #4005

Those are more of a heritage unit type paint scheme. I'm really looking for the more run of the mill NS black and white with the DC to AC Conversion logo on the sides of the cab.

Robert
    Several people have asked me to make some regular, black DC to AC repaints. First I thought I wouldn't make them, but seeing now that there is some interest in them, I might change my mind.
    Borislav

Thank you! A new, updated version is under way.
    Borislav

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoRailfanning View Post
    Your welcome.
    Could you make a updated AC4400 Dash9 Cab?
    Yes! Actually, this is also one ongoing project for me, but due to a severe lack of free time and the fact that Evolution Series locomotives have always been my top priority, this is something that is going to have to wait. To keep things on the bright side, a new SD70ACe/M-2 cab is also under way.
    Borislav

Could you do for your ES44 cab GECX?
    The GECX cab version is included in Update 3.1.
    Borislav

Could you some DB locomotives?
    I beg your pardon? DB as in Deutsche Bahn? Most certainly not.
    Borislav