Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any NS AC44C6M Units?

Default Do we have any NS AC44C6M Units?

Do we have any NS AC44C6M Units with the DC to AC markings on the cab sides?

Units like 4045 http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/4000.html

Thanks.

Robert

Robert,
    I think there are a few floating around, but I think they are privately done. I don't know a heck of a whole lot about the AC44C6M program. By the looks, there isn't a heck of a whole lot changes on the body itself. The one thing I am pretty surprised about, is they didn't swap out the bell for the newer E-Bell's, that most newer units are receiving, and older units after their rebuilds.

I'd whip up a 4011 as that seems pretty basic, but again, I really don't know a whole lot about that program, so I don't think I will be venturing outside of my knowledge. Which, besides GP38-2's and GP40-2's, it isn't much! haha

Taking a peek at the SLI NS D9-40CW, and comparing it to the photo of the 4011, yep. there is a significate amount of differences. Probably be a lot easier to work with the UP C44AC model from TS/SLI instead..
    Last edited by CSRX; 04-09-2022 at 02:27 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png
    Conductor - Eastern Maine Railway
    Probably on everyone's ignore list by now.

Look in the d/l files under Borislav.

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Robert,
    I think there are a few floating around, but I think they are privately done. I don't know a heck of a whole lot about the AC44C6M program. By the looks, there isn't a heck of a whole lot changes on the body itself. The one thing I am pretty surprised about, is they didn't swap out the bell for the newer E-Bell's, that most newer units are receiving, and older units after their rebuilds.

I'd whip up a 4011 as that seems pretty basic, but again, I really don't know a whole lot about that program, so I don't think I will be venturing outside of my knowledge. Which, besides GP38-2's and GP40-2's, it isn't much! haha

Taking a peek at the SLI NS D9-40CW, and comparing it to the photo of the 4011, yep. there is a significate amount of differences. Probably be a lot easier to work with the UP C44AC model from TS/SLI instead..
    Basically, they are a dash 9 body with a newer GEVO styled cab. The body is pretty much the same I believe, and all the changes come in with the cab. The only way I could see an accurate C6M coming out is if someone decided to add a cab Freight Animation to say the Train simulations Seligman dash 9 and repaint it. There are a few available in the file library however they feature a nose headlight unlike the real prototype but if you aren't picky when it comes to detail they're nicely done. But I've also seen some pretty nice screenshots of accurate C6m's but I do believe they are private.

As someone mentioned above.. I took a gander, and found these files, which I was unaware was available. Goes to show how much I actually look in the file library these days...

ac44c6mset1.zip - NS AC44C6M #4000 and #4001
    ac44c6mset2.zip - NS AC44C6M #4002 and #4003
    ac44c6mset3.zip - NS AC44C6M #4004 and #4005

We have only the "imagineered" variety.

NS and CP and CSX rebuilds involved cab replacement, which implies a 4-piece cab side window. None of our AC4400 models are correct for that, and the NS ones in any library don't even have correct upper mount headlights. Usually any new cab also involved replacing any desktop console with a new Gevo-style control stand. UP went with cheaper rebuilds and kept their cabs and likely kept their desktop console cab interiors. Some of CP's rebuilds involved increased fuel tank size in order to allow a 16 cyl rebuild the same fuel range as their 12 cyl gevos and the elimination of the characteristic fuel tank cutouts containing the 2 saddle air tanks on the engineer's side. This fuel tank mod stopped being a thing after they started rebuilding their SD90s that already had 5800 gal fuel tanks.

That's right! I have released a set of AC4400's repainted to look like AC44C6M's with proper physics for these locomotives as well. However, as others have pointed out, the model is far from perfect, but this is the best that I could do, since I do not possess any 3D modelling skills

I am still hoping that Trainsimulations will come out one day with a correct AC44C6M, ET44AC and other new and rebuilt locomotives.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Not impugning anyone's work, just pointing out how demand for certain items can become so fervent at times that you could feed someone a rock and they would think it's a banana.
    It's a bit like when I model N scale, most of the details are a bit hard to see for the untrained eye.
    Plus, Apartment living has me limited on space.

I would love to see some true AC44C6M's. Heck, I'd rather see some SD70ACu's, as that is what I see majority of the time on CP. A mix bag of those and original AC44's.

Not impugning anyone's work, just pointing out how demand for certain items can become so fervent at times that you could feed someone a rock and they would think it's a banana.

I do wonder, at times, whether these imagineered repaints will undercut the sales potential of a proper model from ever appearing. How many of our poor and broke compatriots will accept any "almost model" repaints as good enough to never buy the correct model when it finally appears. And how much that loss gets factored into some vendors decision to never producing the real deal.

One vendor did re-release half the UP heritage SD70ace on 55k poly models, but the availability of Danny's 15k poly free stuff does undercut the potential sales of these revamped models.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoRailfanning View Post
    You should make more AC44C6Ms.
    You sure like to ask for a lot of things huh? Stop being a gimme pig