Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get MSTS

Default How to get MSTS

I have been looking into getting more into train sim other than TSW (and due to dovetail just being absolute dump), so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a copy of MSTS to install open rails on.

You don't need MSTS to install Open Rails. The only thing MSTS does for you is get you some default stuff, for older routes

This link will provide you with a free starter route designed for OR ( comes with trainset ) and will also install the current stable version of OR. Then it is up to you to how much time you want to put into it to learn about OR. There is an excellent manual. Again, OR has nothing to do with MSTS...two entirely separate executable programs...OR is compatible with all legacy MSTS equipment and routes. Many early MSTS routes required the MSTS assets to be present to add shapes to the routes...if you intend to run these routes you will have to find a used set of the disks.

https://www.trainsimulations.net/starter

The Mullan Route at the above address is an excellent OR route -- comes complete.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Instead of giving you a pitch for OR, in answer to your question, I think MSTS is still commonly available on the secondary market.

Be aware that the discs are now getting old and some have reported degradation of the CD's. I've had my CD's since 2002, kept them in a temp controlled environment as well as common sense handling of same, and have used them within the past few years to install on a Win7 machine and a historic XP machine that I still use for MTST content development. So, no degradation issues with mine thus far.

Regardless of the advantages of OR, MSTS does seem to offer elements that OR can't, or doesn't do well.

In spite of its age and supposed shortcomings that others can't stand, I still find value in having an MSTS installation on my hard drives.

Good luck!
    Andre Ming
    V Scale Creations.com R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by christkenddy View Post
    I have been looking into getting more into train sim other than TSW (and due to dovetail just being absolute dump), so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a copy of MSTS to install open rails on.
    You absolutely do not need MSTS to run Open Rails. OR is a stand-alone product. It can run MSTS content, and it can also run more content that MSTS will either choke trying to run or can't run at all. Some of the best payware routes available, as R. Steele pointed out below, require OR as MSTS cannot run them. You can't go wrong with TrainSimulation's material - all of it is excellent.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Thanks to all for there replies to help me out, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Instead of giving you a pitch for OR, in answer to your question ...
    My respect for that, Andre!
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Wernher von Braun should have noticed the OP's original question contained a few flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by christkenddy View Post
    ...where I could buy a copy of MSTS to install open rails on.
    He assumed you needed MSTS to install Open Rails. Which is not the case. A fact merely pointed out and corrected by others.

Imagine that. There is even an entire turn-key, new user, entry method out there for Open Rails designed to attract those from the ease-of-use Steam side that doesn't involve MSTS disks or Scalerail downloads or Route Riter integrity checkers or Trainsim.com accounts and the pontificating scientists found therein!

I like OR because it lets me concentrate on the other stuff.

Rabdt

Ebay 10.00 $ to fifteen $ all new