Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anybody help me out with Rail Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    To be honest RS is obsolete. You may well find you need the original UK release to go along with it.
    Just bite the bullet and buy TSC through Steam, I really don’t know why people have such an issue with it.
    Honestly I wish the sim could be run without Steam being involved. Even if you go offline you still need Steam to launch the sim. Your internet goes bye-bye, you won't be playing trains. Trainz is the same but much worse. Both should have been set up like MSTS back in the day. You didn't need a internet connection to launch it.

This is exactly why, I will not purchase anything from steam.

As has happened before, you have a disagreement about money, they lock your account.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    ...Even if you go offline you still need Steam to launch the sim....
    Since when?
    I've been able to play Steam-bought games for ages in offline mode....including Train Simulator.
    In fact, it's running in the background right now with Steam offline.
    Shortcut on the Desktop to the appropriate .EXE file and it fires up without a problem and no internet connection.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I dislike Steam with a vengeance, Derek. Much prefered the days of cd\dvd distribution.

Even having to have the disc in the drive, was a better idea than Steam.

Try exiting Steam and then playing TS, Bruce.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I think you will find unless you have taken the game offline, as soon as you shut down Steam TSC also closes. Same with TSW. Only one I’ve got where you can do that is the new MSFS, where Steam will let you play something else while the flight sim takes an hour to download all its updates.
    Vern.

I wasn't fond of it at first, but it's a good way of backing up software you don't use. For example I gave Flight Simulator X a spin the other day and will probably uninstall it again as it's not as appealing as it used to be. My son says what is the purpose, and I really don't have a good answer other than I think planes are cool.

Thanks

Sean
    Railroader - Coming To Steam 2023
    My Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    My YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Try exiting Steam and then playing TS, Bruce.

Mike.
    Well, the game shuts down...whether in offline or online mode.
    My point was that you don't have to have Steam online in order to run TS.

I have never had a problem with Steam or the reasoning behind it and cannot understand the objection to it; it's like a supermarket for games (albeit many of them being nothing but crap).
    It's rather ironic that some here have bemoaned the fact that Run 8 Studios could be using it to make multiple purchases lot easier.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I am just anti, "red mist, eyes glazed over" Steam Bruce. No way should Run8 go on Steam. They just need to create a decent shopping basket method. Like every other online retailer.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Have they shut down the sim game?
    I am not able to find.