Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A-Line And Waycross - Recommendations To Start Out

Thanks Benny, I'll check that out!
    Vern.

I was lucky enough to catch a CSX service, almost immediately when i opened the video.

Many tank cars and then boxcars further back. Does US freight always have a barrier car behind the loco, when tank cars are included.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Depends on type, Hazmat, non-Hazmat, also eng(s) occupied, not-occupied etc.. Lots of factors come into play, also, further rules of a particular RR. With my memory banks fading, my last employer rule was at the very least, if a single eng occupied or containing a trailing unit being powered, 1 spacer be placed prior to addition of hazmat. also, for every 7th Hazmat another non-reactive spacer be added against the eng(s). Now, if we had DIT-trailing units, hazmat could be placed against them, long as no crew riding them. Most of the time we always tried to keep the very nastiest stuff farthest away from the headend. Also, load / empty also plays a part in train make-up & rules, also, different types of hazmat, not being placed against one another without set amount of spacers & number of cars etc. should something go wrong, don't want to create a worse hazard, mixing different types. Not all Hazmats are in liquid form as well. Hell, even Empty / Loaded play their part, for we often mixed & matched trying to keep large number of empties towards the rear, but, not always possible, & at times, preferred large amounts of loads be placed deeper in the train from both ends, helping to mitigate back & forth slosh effect at the head end. Even knowing speed limits along the route play their roll, for at times train Taylored to mitigate harmonic rock, & knowing types of Hazmat being placed within said trn. Lots to think about, general public sees a train haven just been thrown together when passing by. There's a method to the madness.

Another aspect of train make-up. My last rd duties, most days we were rd-switcher position meaning preforming other duties outside of just A-B type movements. Rd-Switcher days, we served ind along the way, both direction, that too played a part in the train make-up of the day.
    The days where we were considered A-B, again we had to also be well versed on the end points & IC rules of both RRs along with trn make-up, trying best not to be forced to rearrange before movement once again.