Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about mixing OR and MSTS equipment

I would suggest reading what Peter Newell has posted on his Coals to Newcastle web site regarding OR Steam Physics

https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/...r-steam-model/ and https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/...s/steam-intro/

You might find something helpful...or it could be a bug or some parameter is set up incorrectly.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Searching for OR steam probably will not produce a lot of steam that is made for OR. The only real difference between steam or diesels "made of OR" is the cabview files. A locomotive made with a 1024 x 1024 pixel cabview will open in OR, but will not open in MSTS. A locomotive with a 512 x 512 pixel cabview will open in both.

Paul :-)

Thanks Gerry, hopefully it'll have answers for me. My only thought after those disappointing runs was to increase the value for power or force, but that could lead to unanticipated trouble.
    i'll report back after study......and I do hope I'll b e able to grasp what I am reading.

AA

Oh boy. I just paid a visit to the site and looked over the material. If I have to understand and be familiar with all of this in order to properly operate OR steam....I'll most definitely never get there.
    At first I was thinking...if I just could increase the the "power" or "force" values, maybe that would do it. Then I thought about use of the reverser, the cut-of factor......maybe I was unable to find the cut-off "sweet spot" for max HP at that speed.
    Now it appears one would have to work complex formulas....to do what exactly??? Now I really feel lost.
    I know....more study. It appears this stuff is simply above my pay grade.

AA

AA

The formulas are for context, to show how the parameters for OR are arrived at...Buried in there somewhere, are ORTS parameters for steam, a sample steam engine all set up for OR ... I could not find them, being more familiar with the diesel parameters...perhaps dropping a note to Peter at the site and he could show you the pages.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.