Thread: Question on How OR Measures Mass in .Wag File

Default Question on How OR Measures Mass in .Wag File

Does anyone know that when defining Mass in tons in the OR .wag file, which version of "ton" does OR use? Short or long ton (2000 lbs or 2240 lbs), or metric ton (2205 lbs). I'm guessing metric but don't know for sure.

Just converting some .wag files to read mass as tons instead of pounds so measuring train weight is easier in TSRE Consist Builder.

Thanks.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Current Manual >>> page 324 >>> Appendices >>> 22.1 Units of Measure

OR default Unit of Measure for Mass >> kg

--- OR accepts

t = metric tonne ( 1000kg )

lb

t-uk = imperial ton ( 2400lb )

t-us = US ton ( 2000lb "Short Ton" )

You can use any of the above, by convention all units of measure ( excepting the OR default ) MUST be specified immediately after the value ( NO SPACE between value and UoM )... best practice is to always specify ( when the parameter requires it ) the UoM -- that includes the default UoM.

If no UoM is specified --- OR will assume the default UoM and calculate accordingly.

not to put to fine a point on it ... OR has an excellently maintained and searchable manual with an index and appendices.

If your question is really about how the code works in a specific instance regarding mass... you got me brother!

...and yep the TSRE CE does not handle all the different UoM for OR mass -- needs improving in that area.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-06-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004061

lb

Now all we need is for TSRE CE to accommodate all these types, too. When building consists, I prefer to fill out based on the tonnage I have in mind for a particular consist. But with TSRE unable to calculate correctly when certain UoM are mixed in at random, it becomes a lost cause to reasonably estimate train weight. Until that problem is addressed in TSRE, I'm forced to stick to metric tons because TSRE does add those values correctly.

Red face

[QUOTE=R. Steele;2004061]Current Manual >>> page 324 >>> Appendices >>> 22.1 Units of Measure

OR default Unit of Measure for Mass >> kg

--- OR accepts

lb

I thought so, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ton

UK , Long Ton, Imperial is 2240 lbs

The "ton longweight" which was used in the 17th..18th centuries was 2400 lbs. I doubt that we had any locomotives back then pulling things of that mass. But maybe I am wrong.

Thanks for the replies.

I know I could go search in the manual but it was on my mind for a moment and simply decided to ask here, and I was busy with something else at the time. Hope that's OK.

I can't complain about TSRE-CB. It's well laid out and what is there works well. Gotten a lot of use out of it.
    Sure there are some minor issues with it but they're easy to live with.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I know I could go search in the manual but it was on my mind for a moment and simply decided to ask here, and I was busy with something else at the time. Hope that's OK....
    No worries, I just take every chance offered to plug the manual...it's such a fine manual, and takes time and effort to maintain it...volunteer time and effort...Kudos to the OR Development team members that keep it up to date. I meant no slight to you...just a little noodging in the rib area...anyway---questions are a primary function of the forum.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.