Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&nw

Default C&nw

Around 2012 or so I downloaded a route "Cascade & North Western." This was not on Train Sim.com but was an independent free route or virtual route.You simply had to join the group offering the route. Details of that escape me at the moment. I remember it was simple to do and all was free. It was run before Open Rails and run on MSTS with bin. No reason it would not be great on OR.

It was a beautifully done route. There were approximately 200 activities. All rolling stock was also included. To work the first activity you had to download the rolling stock for that activity. Upon correct completion you could then download activity #2 and its rolling stock. You had to follow this sequence to continue the route. Rolling stock was done well and looked good. Some activities had a time limit to finish. You had to follow track speeds, signals, work area reduced speeds etc.

I really enjoyed this route!

Now, the question, does anyone still have this route and all the activities and rolling stock? I do have most, if not all, of the rolling stock.

Somewhere since then with replacing hard drives and computers, I no longer have the route or the activities and the original web site is long gone.

Would be happy to get this route and activities again. Great and well done activities.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave! If the original website is gone,then getting the Route is problematic! I DO NOT RECOMMEND trying to get it from a 3rd Party due to possible Copyright conflicts. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by motormaster532 View Post
    Hi Dave! If the original website is gone,then getting the Route is problematic! I DO NOT RECOMMEND trying to get it from a 3rd Party due to possible Copyright conflicts. Brian
    Thanks Brian,
    I would not want to use third party or someones copyright. I have some old DVD discs with TS stuff on them. If I can find them I may have it stashed there. Back in 2012 I was really into some of the virtual routes and some great ones at that. I just remember that the C&NW was a great one and took a lot of time and concentration to work through.

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Dave, it is here in the library --- just search the MSTS routes using the word "cascade" --- there are eight zip files -- cnw0001.zip thru 0008.zip.

I have it and all the activities that were floating around....I changed everything over to Chicago and Northwestern -- subbing in new equipment. It does run very nicely in OR with the exception of the invisio features that were used for signalmen, and other trackside visuals and sounds. These were placed on the track...MSTS ignored them --- however OR couples onto the objects...so you cannot use them.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

If you go to the old NERR site at:
    http://vnerrforums.com/NERRdownloadfiles/
    you will find the C&NW route, rolling stock and all the activities if you dig through the site.

Phil

My nemesis route. When I started building the real CNW this was always a conflict...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Ok, all downloaded. Trainset unzipped and installed in the sim.

Now, the activities. I have them all downloaded and in a folder. They are all zipped. When I double click to unzip however the Winzip does not open as it does with other zipped files. What I get is an apk folder. I drag this to my APK v3 Extractor icon and it says not an apk file?? Well what I dragged there sure says apk. I have also had it open a box that say unpack to the activity folder. But it does not do so or else I am not giving it the correct path. With 200 or so activities I hate to have to enter data in the little box each time.
    So, I am stuck. Been too many birthdays ago to remember what to do next to get these opened and placed in the activity folder. Any help appreciated. I would like to unpack them all to a temp folder and then copy/paste to the train sim\route\activity folder etc.

Does it matter where I place the APK extractor icon?

I am over my head at the moment. Must be a faster way to do this??

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave,
    The APKExtractor icon will be on the Desktop, but it doesn't matter exactly where.

I've just downloaded the first activity (CNW-ADA-C1-DC01M.zip), used 7Zip to unpack it which resulted in .txt and .apk files. Dragging the .apk file over the APKExtractor icon (or double-clicking the .apk file) worked correctly. Please give the name of the file which doesn't work.
    Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,

Actually, none of them that I have tried worked. I have finally gotten to a point that I get a pop up asking me where to place the unpacked file. I entered a temp file name and it did extract correctly to that folder. Is there a way to give APK extractor a path I want it always to extract to? It takes up a lot of time to type in the folder path for each activity. Under properties" (right click the apk icon) I am not certain if i can change the destination path for the unpacked file or not. Darn! I used to know all this stuff and am like a new kid on it these days. Stayed away from MSTS/OR for about ten years due to other factors in life. Appreciate the help getting re-railed again.

Dave
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Hi Dave,
    No, APKExtractor will tell you which installation/s the required route is included in then it's up to you to select one.

Sorry, but your message doesn't make much sense to me! Please try the following :

If you have the route installed, drop the .apk file on to the APKExtractor icon. On the first screen, put the letter of the drive containing the route into the box and press <Search>. The next screen will show the installation/s where that route is installed. Left-click the required installation to highlight it then press <Accept>. Click <Yes> (or <No> or <Cancel>) on the confirmation screen. If <Yes> was clicked, an 'Action Completed' screen will be displayed - click <OK>.

If you DO NOT have the route installed, click <No Search> on the first screen, <Yes> on the next screen. You can now choose to install the activity into any folder or create a .zip file containing all the activity files.

Cheers,
    Ged