Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many coal trains 2007

Some of the UK power stations switched to gas from coal, somewhat ironic given the now panic over shortage of natural gas supply. In fact I don’t think we have any coal fired power stations left, though some - like Drax in Yorkshire - are using biomass instead. An army of solar panels or wind turbines is not going to fulfill our power needs, especially when we all end up forced into electric cars!

(Apologies for OT ramble).
    Vern.

Ratcliffe-on-Soar PS, the coal-fired facility in Nottinghamshire, is due to be decommissioned in October 2024 anyway, Vern, the others are bio and gas powered nowadays.

Unsure about this Run8 Sim, whereabouts is the route located that you need to run coal trains on?

I know that American Power Stations have stockpiled reserves, just like we did in Britain, so, I don't know if the coal that is delivered every day goes straight down to the grinders, and then onto the combustion procedure, or, if it gets stockpiled to be used another day, unsure how the American Power Plants operate having never been to one personally.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 05-20-2022 at 08:41 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i7 10700k 3.8GHz Eight Core CPU, Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX3060ti 8GB, WIN10 PRO 64-bit. 10xTB in HDDs total.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post

Unsure about this Run8 Sim, whereabouts is the route located that you need to run coal trains on?

Cheerz. Steve.
    There are two coal fired power stations on the A Line, one south of Jacksonville at Bostwick and the other at Stanton just south of Orlando.

I don't know of any on the SoCal or Mohawk routes.
    Vern.

Sorry, Vern, I should have read the preceding posts from our friends across the pond, yeah, Seminole at Bostwick and Stanton at Orlando. Jason put that URL up for Seminole from 2013, which stated that one coal train was stuck on the rotary dumper, the 16th car out of 111, and there was another 111 car consist queued up right behind it, so, you can deduce that they accepted at least 2 x 111 car trains a day, which is possibly the facilities limit, and a bit more than the 90 car trains a day from about the year 2007. It is a simulator after all, with a bit of poetic licence you could create whatever you wanted really, it wouldn't be too far wrong from reality for that time period I wouldn't have thought.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 05-20-2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i7 10700k 3.8GHz Eight Core CPU, Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX3060ti 8GB, WIN10 PRO 64-bit. 10xTB in HDDs total.

There are other coal locations just off line such as Power Park in Jacksonville from the Kingsland Sub just outside of Jacksonville Yard to the north east.

Gay, Indiantown, Busch/Tampa, and Newberry in Florida are a few other locations that receive coal trains from Callahan Sub via the S line.

Thanks

Sean
    Rail Transport Systems for Run8 Train Simulator V3
    Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS