Thread: Continuous Wheel Slip Indication

Default Continuous Wheel Slip Indication

Hi All,

I've been working on activities for the ONR route and now am working on a Timmins Yard activity. Getting a bit frustrated.

When my single RS-2 is sitting on straight level track and I have all the brakes released and put in into notch 1, I get a continuous wheel slip buzzer. I can get rid of the buzzer by rotating the camera to the other side of the train but then there's the continuous wheel slip too tip that flashes all the time until I come to a stop, or sometimes just coast.

This morning I worked the yard for an hour with no trouble. The yard is flat so I was not using any air when switching. I saved the game to take lunch, but when I restarted the saved game, everything is in emergency and every time I couple I have to get it out of emergency, connect, then unconnect the air hoses before I move. Dropping one car out of the cut of cars throws everything back into emerg.

I had no trouble with this stuff back when I was doing the DAR, I had no trouble with this this morning, so any idea what's going on or are other people living with this now?

I'm using X1.3.1-263-g7abeb7d51 I haven't changed versions for the last year while building the ONR but from what I've read, the current stable version has it's share of problems.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Does it do the same with a different engine?
    Cheers
    Derek

Haven't tried yet Derek but I did update to the last stable version, 1.4 and it's still doing the same things.

Paul

So I ran a little experiment. Changed the power from an ONR RS-2 to a CNR RSC-24. There was differences in the engine files and it turns out the CNR RSC did NOT trigger the continuous wheel slip or it's buzzer, no matter what I did.

I looked at both engine files to see what I could see. For the most part they were almost the same, some entries were 1.3 in one engine and 1.33 in the other, not something that would cause the problem. The only lines that were different enough between the two were:

RSC-24:

DieselEngineSpeedofMaxTractiveEffort( 11.7mph)
    DieselEngineMaxRPMChangeRate( 40 )

RS-2

DieselEngineSpeedofMaxTractiveEffort( 17.3mph)
    DieselEngineMaxRPMChangeRate( 40 )

Is that enough of a difference to cause all these problems? Using the RS-2, I was getting the continuous wheel spin alarm and prompt on straight level track, no throttle, no brakes, and about 5 mph... and no cars.

Paul :-)

Definitely not.
    I suspect a corruption in one of the files.
    Should I have these files by now?
    Cheers
    Derek

Hi Derek,

If you have the ONR62 Power, it contains both, the S units have the "DieselEngineSpeedofMaxTractiveEffort( 11.7mph)" and the RS units have "DieselEngineSpeedofMaxTractiveEffort( 17.3mph)".

I'm going to tinker with this a bit today, but I just replaced the ONR RS-2 with an ONR S-4 that has the "DieselEngineSpeedofMaxTractiveEffort( 11.7mph)" entry and took it through the same switching movements I was getting the continuous wheel slip, and there was nothing, even jacking up the power to try to get a wheel slip. I'm going to change the line in the RS-2 that I was having the trouble with and see what happens.

OK, if my camera is on the shaded side of the train I do not get the wheel slip warning, if I rotate the camera 30 degrees to get the same angle on the sunny side of the train I do get the continuous wheels slip warning. so... something else.

What values do your frame rates vary as you rotate the camera around?

I'll have to look into the frame rate but after testing this morning on my Windows 7 machine I just put the route, and all the pertinent files onto this Windows 11 laptop and the wheel slip happens more often.

On the Windows 7 machine one of the tests I did was just one RS-2 in the Timmins yard. Tried everything I could think of to try to get the wheel slip to occur but nothing. I then tried another test that was the same as the activity I was working on switching the yard. The yard has about seventy freight cars, about a dozen passenger cars, and four diesels. I was able to get the wheel slip warning.

I'm starting to thing the problem is just a matter of a full yard and an old video card that just can't handle that many polygons. My Windows 7 machine has:

Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30Ghz
    8.00 GB or RAM
    64-bit operating system
    nVidia GeForce GTX 950

If someone with a better computer wants to do their own test to see if the problem is at my end and they can't get the wheel slip warning, send me a PM and I'll put everything you need up on Dropbox.

Paul,

What are the engine numbers please?
    Cheers
    Derek