Thread: Moving MSTS

Default Moving MSTS

Hello,
    I have just bought a Win11 computer. Is there a way to move my large MSTS collection from my win10 computer. The new computer does not have a CD drive
    Regards Stu

If the files are on a disk drive, move the drive.
    Cheers
    Derek

More than likely you have USB ports on both computers, buy an external usb SSD large enough capacity to hold your collection...copy everything to the drive --- now you have a backup --- and you can copy it to your new computer.

Also, USB CD drives are quite common....but the capacity is not as large as an external SSD drive ( up to multiple terrabytes ).
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

If you intend to NEVER run MSTS (Sim or Editors and Tools) and ONLY run ORTS you will not have to do the following.
    You will also need to copy the MSTS portion of the Registry and enter it in the same location in the registry of the new PC.
    And you will need to manually create the needed shortcuts for your desktop and/or start menu.

If you happen to have purchased ConBuilder, the program MSTS Manager that comes with the payware version can be used to create those Registry entries.
    Charles

Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted.
    Regards stu

Hi, mate!

I think that an SSD is the best solution for this job. I have one dedicated solely to my game files, especially those related to MSTS/ORTS. It serves both as a backup device and as a device which I use when I need to transfer stuff from my computer to my laptop and vice-versa.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    Hi, mate!

I think that an SSD is the best solution for this job. I have one dedicated solely to my game files, especially those related to MSTS/ORTS. It serves both as a backup device and as a device which I use when I need to transfer stuff from my computer to my laptop and vice-versa.
    Hi

I have my entitre MSTS/OR setup on a SSD and attached to my Laptop with a USB3 to USBC connector
    and when using OR I get excellent results with around 25 FPS.

I know that does not sound great but I have a clone of my MSTS/OR setup on my main PC and
    get much higher FPS but cannot tell the difference visually.

I use my Laptop for travel.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    Hi

I have my entitre MSTS/OR setup on a SSD and attached to my Laptop with a USB3 to USBC connector
    and when using OR I get excellent results with around 25 FPS.

I know that does not sound great but I have a clone of my MSTS/OR setup on my main PC and
    get much higher FPS but cannot tell the difference visually.

I use my Laptop for travel.

Cheers

Daniel
    Hmm, I've never tried playing directly from SSD, so this is something that I definitely must try

Speaking of backups, I also keep my "TRAINS" folder backed up in one additional place because I have a lot of custom locomotives and cars that I would really, really hate to lose.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Hello
    I have all my stuff now on the new computer. My son accomplished this by using the CD drive on the old computer and sending the data across on the network and running the install from there. Had to redownload RouteRiter but Train Store came over OK.
    Regards Stu.