Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: So What's This About?

I looked at the home page again that announced this "update". It doesn't say as to how long this "update" was going to take. Nor is it stated anywhere non member rules were going to be or have changed. So here we are some of us crying foul...... Nobody from the powers that be have come out and even said the update is taking longer than first thought or that this update has bugs and what's being done to right the ship. Hate to say it. Last week Trainsim has taken on a DTG/NV3 attitude. Ignore customers and issue a update with tons of bugs (or whatever it is).

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    I looked at the home page again that announced this "update". It doesn't say as to how long this "update" was going to take. Nor is it stated anywhere non member rules were going to be or have changed. So here we are some of us crying foul...... Nobody from the powers that be have come out and even said the update is taking longer than first thought or that this update has bugs and what's being done to right the ship. Hate to say it. Last week Trainsim has taken on a DTG/NV3 attitude. Ignore customers and issue a update with tons of bugs (or whatever it is).
    You are mixing up "Membership", "Supporting Membership"and "non-membership".
    A "Member" is someone who has registered.
    A "Supporting Member" is one who has registered and PAID money to the forum for extra benefits. Particularly "faster, unlimited downloads". "Supporting Members" are the ONLY "Customers" on the forum.
    A "non-Member' can neither download or post to the forum.

The forum owner is NOT "ignoring Customers". His "Customers" ARE the "Supporting Members". The download rules are there to make sure that the Supporting Members get what thy have paid for: "faster, unlimited downloads".

Customer:
    noun
    noun: customer; plural noun: customers

a person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business.
    Charles

"Member", "non-member", "second-class", "first class"......it doesn't matter. Something is broken.
    Just %$#*ing fix it!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    You are mixing up "Membership", "Supporting Membership"and "non-membership".
    A "Member" is someone who has registered.
    A "Supporting Member" is one who has registered and PAID money to the forum for extra benefits. Particularly "faster, unlimited downloads". "Supporting Members" are the ONLY "Customers" on the forum.
    A "non-Member' can neither download or post to the forum.

The forum owner is NOT "ignoring Customers". His "Customers" ARE the "Supporting Members". The download rules are there to make sure that the Supporting Members get what thy have paid for: "faster, unlimited downloads".

Customer:
    noun
    noun: customer; plural noun: customers

a person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business.
    I'd be a member then. So are you confirming then that unless you "pay to play" A supporting member, there's going to be disruptions with the severs from now on? If so, sure would have been nice if people had been informed. That's what needs to be addressed. If "members" are not supposed to be having issues, something is going on. What I don't know. Browser being used, download/no download accelerator, who knows...... But GEEZ! If this site has become the latest "Only those in the club" with a DW policy attitude, many of us are probably out of here. We may not like the "new rules" but at least inform us. Our choice if we stay or go.

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    Last week Trainsim has taken on a DTG/NV3 attitude. Ignore customers and issue a update with tons of bugs (or whatever it is).
    OK so play on words. We ARE NOT CUSTOMERS, UNDERSTOOD!! It's the no communication/being ignored? on what's going which is the game "customers" (was that USED correctly this time?????) of DTG/NV3 deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    "Member", "non-member", "second-class", "first class"......it doesn't matter. Something is broken.
    Just %$#*ing fix it!!

I think this is the FIx.
    I think the limitation on the total number of downloads for members that are not supporting members is a volume issue of the bandwidth. The forum now has 9969 members. That has to be some finite number of connections for downloads pay or non-pay. So to insure that a paying member can always get a connection then the number of non-pay connections has to be limited.

Remember back before there was a Supporting Member category and a new route was released and we could not get slots to download? Or we had to stay up past midnight to get a download slot? I do.
    Charles

That doesn't explain why i couldn't download, as a First Class Member or whatever it is called.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Firefox 100.0.2 x64 Just tried to start a 855mb download. Get a security screen and then nothing happens.

I didn't want the file just testing.

First Class member

Mike.

Mike,
    What do you mean by "Security Screen"? Do you mean the Download Copyright Notice page?

Once you click the Start Download button on the Download Copyright Notice page when using FireFox browser a small popup box appears below the download icon on the top menu bar of the browser asking "Open or Save". Did you get that?
    Charles

Just for the sake of reporting, I was able to start downloading one 80+ MB file and then start downloading another 5MB file. Both came in at about 30KB per second each, and completed successfully. This was on a regular member account, starting sometime around 6PM EST in the US.

If we want to help identify the issue with downloads, it's probably most helpful to document as much as possible about what you're running up against -- either success or failure.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Open Rails and MSTS blog -- Back on the Web as of December 2021

Over on the Flightsim forum AT LEAST someone "In charge" has addressed the problem. The same courtesy hasn't been give on this site. Play on words, say it's not a business, there are no customers. If one is running a website, have some ethics and decency and inform your base as best you can when problems such as this arise.

This from 2 days ago on the Flightsim Forum.

"We are still having a problem with this, but as the message notes,
    you can logout and then login and your counter will be reset. As
    this is our problem, not yours, we are not trying to get more First
    Class Memberships because of the current problem which we hope
    to have finally, really fixed, asap.
    I would like to thank everybody for their patience as we go thru this
    massive upgrade process.
    Blue Skies!"
    Rick