Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: So What's This About?

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Mike,
    What do you mean by "Security Screen"? Do you mean the Download Copyright Notice page?

Once you click the Start Download button on the Download Copyright Notice page when using FireFox browser a small popup box appears below the download icon on the top menu bar of the browser asking "Open or Save". Did you get that?
    Hi Charles, no buddy i did not get as far as the copyright notice screen when i tried before. I had a white screen with large txt with something about checking. I was getting the same a few days back, when login in to the forum. But in regards the forum, the check was made and i was forwarded successfully.

UPDATE: I just tried downloading again before posting this reply. I tried 3 files one of 855mb and they all started successfully downloading. At around 6.5mb/s, i cancelled the files as i was not in need of them.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post

If we want to help identify the issue with downloads, it's probably most helpful to document as much as possible about what you're running up against -- either success or failure.
    It's a crab shoot right now, has been for a week. Bottom line: Sometimes you can download, sometimes you can't. Time of day has been somewhat pinpointed. Latest comments imply it doesn't matter what you "membership" (Was the word USED CORRECTLY??) status is. There continues to be issues trying to download. What about members (USED CORRECTLY???? Yes, I'll be a problem for awhile longer, thank you.) trying to upload?

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Hi Charles, no buddy i did not get as far as the copyright notice screen when i tried before. I had a white screen with large txt with something about checking. I was getting the same a few days back, when login in to the forum. But in regards the forum, the check was made and i was forwarded successfully.

UPDATE: I just tried downloading again before posting this reply. I tried 3 files one of 855mb and they all started successfully downloading. At around 6.5mb/s, i cancelled the files as i was not in need of them.

Mike.
    That sounds like that crap of checking our browser to see if it was compatible with the forum Software. The download problem occurs after selecting the file you want, then getting the Copyright Notice and clicking on the Start Download button. The next page says something like "There are too many downloads in process by non-supporting members. Which is a rare occurrence. Try again later."

After reading the psots made late yesterday and early this AM around 8AM I tried to download a file using FireFox. Got the error message I quoted above. Then tried with MS Edge. Same error message. Then about 20min later tried again with FireFox. D/L worked. Got a 59MB file.

FYI when I was looking for something worth downloading I did not find anything until the 5th page of New Files. The first 4 pages were nothing but Activities for IR routes.
    Charles

If you are a non-paying member, you were limited to a maximum of 2 simultaneous download streams and you were limited to 30 kb/s download rate per stream.

As a non-paying member, I just successfully launched 4 simultaneous download streams even as each stream was still limited to 30 kb/sec. This should not be happening. Somewhere in the upgrade, it would appear they lost control of the 2-stream cap on non-paying users. If the poorer parts of the world where nobody is paying member have discovered this and are exploiting this loss of the 2-stream cap, the site in general may be bumping up against a max bandwidth limit, to the detriment of paying users now being inconvenienced.

At the time I launched this test to show this non-paying US member going beyond my usual allocation of 2 streams, it was 4 am in India.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    If you are a non-paying member, you were limited to a maximum of 2 simultaneous download streams and you were limited to 30 kb/s download rate per stream.

As a non-paying member, I just successfully launched 4 simultaneous download streams even as each stream was still limited to 30 kb/sec. This should not be happening. Somewhere in the upgrade, it would appear they lost control of the 2-stream cap on non-paying users. If the poorer parts of the world where nobody is paying member have discovered this and are exploiting this loss of the 2-stream cap, the site in general may be bumping up against a max bandwidth limit, to the detriment of paying users now being inconvenienced.

At the time I launched this test to show this non-paying US member going beyond my usual allocation of 2 streams, it was 4 am in India.

Over two downloads non paying as you said shouldn't be occurring. It's one BIG bug!! I'll leave it here for awhile. I'd get in real hot water if I really spoke my mind as to what/where/why the problem is and it's origin.

To be fair, not everyone is going to read everything and be aware of the two-download maximum for non-First Class accounts. They may well select several more files and let them download, not even fully aware that it shouldn't work that way.

So, if indeed it's possible to download more than two files at once with a non-First Class account (haven't bothered to experiment) and it's messing up the total bandwidth allocation, then it's definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.

EDIT: Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I started two downloads and then attempted a third one, on my plain-vanilla regular account. The third download started off without any warnings or hesitation. (I then stopped all three, no need to tie things up for more than a few seconds.)

So there's definitely a bug or mis-configuration somewhere. Hopefully this gets sorted in a fairly short time.
    Last edited by EricF; 05-23-2022 at 10:10 PM.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Open Rails and MSTS blog -- Back on the Web as of December 2021

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    To be fair, not everyone is going to read everything and be aware of the two-download maximum for non-First Class accounts. They may well select several more files and let them download, not even fully aware that it shouldn't work that way.

So, if indeed it's possible to download more than two files at once with a non-First Class account (haven't bothered to experiment) and it's messing up the total bandwidth allocation, then it's definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.

EDIT: Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I started two downloads and then attempted a third one, on my plain-vanilla regular account. The third download started off without any warnings or hesitation. (I then stopped all three, no need to tie things up for more than a few seconds.)

So there's definitely a bug or mis-configuration somewhere. Hopefully this gets sorted in a fairly short time.
    I just tried downloading 6 huge files. All started downloading. I cancelled all, doing the test like others have tried. Well, I'd say this is the cause. Just a fabulous update there gents! Don't "fix it" if it ain't broke!!

UPDATE: I'm also noticing the site in general has developed a bit of a lag. Pages are taking a little extra time to display than normal for me today. Other websites have no lag.

After having read all the replies down below, curiosity got the better of me and I embarked on a mission to find the 'new limit' (previously being 2 downloads a time).

Then a message popped up on the 11th simultaneous download telling me that non-first class members now have a limit of 10 simultaneous downloads, which, I would rather say, was well worth the 10-day hassle. Cheers for the upgrade gents.

...and the servers are down again

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    That sounds like that crap of checking our browser to see if it was compatible with the forum Software. The download problem occurs after selecting the file you want, then getting the Copyright Notice and clicking on the Start Download button. The next page says something like "There are too many downloads in process by non-supporting members. Which is a rare occurrence. Try again later."

After reading the psots made late yesterday and early this AM around 8AM I tried to download a file using FireFox. Got the error message I quoted above. Then tried with MS Edge. Same error message. Then about 20min later tried again with FireFox. D/L worked. Got a 59MB file.

FYI when I was looking for something worth downloading I did not find anything until the 5th page of New Files. The first 4 pages were nothing but Activities for IR routes.
    Yes Charles it is the same check as for accessing the forum. But for downloading it just sits there unyielding

I haven't had the too many downloads in process message, as i pay to play.

Yup noticed that about all the activities. I went to the MSTS routes section and tried from there when i tested yesterday.

The whole thing seems a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd