Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All routes and trains lost after update?

Here, try this. https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download The free one is good enough for what you want.
    It'll find your files unless you've wiped them with a file wiper. You haven't.

Randy

>I have had the unfortunate experience of discussing replicatable faults in software with the 'engineers' that programmed those faults, and they in turn expressed the opinion that the software they had written was working “by design

Hi Marek,

I have been in this place like you.
    I have to say that if I was to write a long version, it would certainly look like yours.

I think that Gerry has hit the nail on the head with the idea of a warning from the updater, and a note in the manual.
    New users will not see the warning in the manual, but they will see the warning from the updater.

I am sure that we do not see any where near all of the deletes that happen, only the few that post about it.

So yes, we are all going the same direction.

I will post a link of this thread over at Elvas to bring it to the attention of the OR management team.
    Cheers
    Derek

Oh stop it, Derek.

This is not a software design problem. Neither the OR installer or updater actively places your route and rolling stock files in jeopardy. It is a MORON USER problem. Moron users with too much 'MSTS on the brain' who take active steps on their own behalf to relocate content files around on their hard drives so that their OR installation looks like their MSTS installation (why on earth?) that results in said content ending up in jeopardy. If anyone is out there moving files around on their hard drives, they are not 'green, innocent, newbies'.

It is an absurd proposal to throw chronic alerts in the face of those who update frequently, making the updater look nefarious or rogue or something to be feared in the eyes of regular folk, just because there are a handful of MORONS out there who rarely update and that have taken active steps on their hard drives to place their content in jeopardy.

There may be a few more out there that we don't hear about, but then again they are probably quietly embarrassed they did something really dumb that jettisoned their content by accident and they don't want to bring their blunder to anyone's attention. Usually, they just learned the hard way that, gosh, OR really is not MSTS. Imagine that.

Put a warning in the manual. If they don't read the manual, then that's a moron user problem that the rest of us shouldn't have to underwrite by tolerating excessive nag alerts. It is not our job to baby-proof the software for those who don't read the instructions.

What you are seeing here happens a lot in the open source software world. Common sense gets ignored because of ideology, good ideas like sensible warnings and suggestions for helpful software improvements too often get dismissed out of hand.

That said, not backing up before any major software upgrade is, indeed, asking for disaster, learning a bitter lesson the hard way. Backups are our friends. Backup. Backup the backup and put that one someplace else 'cause it will be needed, sooner or later.

But sad to see, but not so unexpected, the lousy open-source world style "you are a moron because you don't think just like I do" response. Sheesh.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    ...the lousy open-source world style "you are a moron because you don't think just like I do" response. Sheesh.
    Dave, I am just not sure how to interpret this sentence...is the open source style "lousy" ( dubious ) or is the open source style somehow related to everyone thinking the same and when you don't you're a moron...(also dubious ). Maybe I'm a little too obtuse this morning, could you offer clarification?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I have asked the dev team to discuss the problem, we will see if they consider that a change of some sort is appropriate.
    Cheers
    Derek

A user trying to 'dress up' his OR installation look exactly like his MSTS installation caused a problem -- for himself.

Newsflash: OR is not MSTS. And the sooner the general public comes to grips with that, the fewer 'cross-dressing' blunders will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    That said, not backing up before any major software upgrade is, indeed, asking for disaster, learning a bitter lesson the hard way. Backups are our friends. Backup. Backup the backup and put that one someplace else 'cause it will be needed, sooner or later.
    If it becomes 'common sense' to nag the responsible people to save the irresponsibles, then maybe we can add a nag message that says "disk drives will eventually fail so get your multiple backups done", too.

I've seen that 'sensible warning' deployed by software devs elsewhere, like, never number of times before.

The OR team have had a discussion and the following is the outcome:-

Agreed; we cannot check for content existing in the updater (since it does not know what files are meant to be there) but we can provide a check that the content path being added is not the same as or inside the application folder when adding it.

This will stop any personal content getting deleted.
    Cheers
    Derek

Don't now why people can't/won't backup their files...... And not just you train simulator files!! Do frequent backups of important stuff in your mind. If you got large external drives, backup the C drive and an entire external or two. My Dad taught me at a young age. BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! Doing this will someday save your $ss.