Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spots after editing

Default Spots after editing

When editing .ace files in Corel PSP X2 or Krita(x64) I get a spotty effect on the skins. In the images I posted one can see an unedited skin. The second one was opened in PSP and directly saved without editing. It seems that opening a skin results in these spots. Could anyone tell me how to avoid this effect?

Thanks,
    Rob

Looks like dithering to me. Not sure how your editors handle edits, but there may be an option somewhere to disable it

Hi, thanks for replying. Did a search in PSP to find something you suggested. Couldn't find anything like that, but after using MS Paint instead of PSP I got the same result.

I've had something like this happen and saving the texture as a .dds instead of converting to .ace had better results.
    Of course if you use MSTS this isn't going to work but using OR it did.
    I use Paintdotnet so it's an easy "save as".

Randy

Thanks Randy, that seems to work! I made a few repaints lately which are "dotted". New made repaint will be without dots.

Thanks again,
    Rob

You're more than welcome Rob.
    My 0.02, I work on textures as a .tga or .bmp to prevent degradation and then I'll copy the finished texture and paste it on to a blank, or working texture, to save as a .dds.
    If you work on textures as a .dds it will start to show artifacts after a couple editings.
    Editing as a .tga seems to work best for me. I don't edit .dds files.

Randy

Thanks Randy, for your 0.02 . Starts to sound a bit complicated for me now, but I'll give it a try.

Rob

It's not really.
    Once you're happy with the texture and are at a place where you'd normally save and convert to .ace instead hit Ctrl+c to copy it Ctrl+n to create a new texture image and then Ctrl+v to paste the texture to the new blank you just created.
    Now take the new image and save it where/how you need it for the model.
    From here all you have to do is copy-paste-save reusing the new texture image.
    After a couple times it'll start making sense.
    I'm assuming all image editors use similar key commands. We all know how that works.

Randy

Thanks for your advice, Randy. I'll give it a go. For now I'll stick to your .dds method.

Rob
    Last edited by Robkeb; 06-15-2022 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robkeb View Post
    Thanks Randy, that seems to work! I made a few repaints lately which are "dotted". New made repaint will be without dots.

Thanks again,
    Rob
    When you do an export, turn off "Optimized Dithering" in TGATool2. It should be an checkbox on the right side.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 06-21-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.