Thread: My first route--Murdo, SD west to Kadoka--and hopefully Rapid City

Default My first route--Murdo, SD west to Kadoka--and hopefully Rapid City

I started posting over in the forum for Goku's route editor, and after a bit of a learning curve, I think I've got a pretty good workflow figured out and I'm enjoying the route construction process (of course, adding activities and 'sim' related stuff is a whole other challenge I haven't even gotten started on).

This is a stretch of the Milwaukee Road west of Murdo, South Dakota (actually closer to Belvidere). I grew up in this part of the country and still love it.

progress.jpg

I chose this route for a few reasons, other than my fondness for the scenery.

1. It's abandoned and the bed's been removed, so I'm actually reconstructing the route, rather than copying it (I'm not experienced enough to know if this is easier than trying to match existing grades, but I suspect it is)
    2. There are very few towns along the way so there are few sidings, buildings and crossings to worry about
    3. There are few landscape details to add (trees, etc.)

If everything goes smoothly up to Kadoka, I'm going to extend the route to Rapid City, which will hopefully lead to some nice scenery, since this route skirts the southern edge of the Badlands.

badlands.jpg

You chose a good route to start with if it has few details to add. Being from the southeast part of the land, I have
    to contend with towns etc. Welcome to the hobby. Strange really that a piece of buggy software that first came
    out in 2001 is still popular. I have learned a few things about TSRE but I still use MSTS-RE for 75% of my work
    and then TSRE to perfect some things like aligning a bridge to the track. At 83 I don't know how many more routes
    I have in the "tank" but I have starts on about 7 or 8. You'll find my Milwaukee Road routes, enhanced by Lucas Lussar
    in the library. Never been to this part of the country except to the far southeast corner of SD. Used to visit an
    aunt & uncle now deceased for 50 years that lived in far northwest Iowa and we would sneak over into SD on
    occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    You'll find my Milwaukee Road routes, enhanced by Lucas Lussar
    in the library. Never been to this part of the country except to the far southeast corner of SD. Used to visit an
    aunt & uncle now deceased for 50 years that lived in far northwest Iowa and we would sneak over into SD on
    occasion.
    I actually have your Milwaukee Road section from Mobridge west! (Did you know 'Mobridge' is actually named after the Milwaukee Road's bridge over the 'mighty Mo'?)

In fact, the 1998 Dakota Division route profile in your package sent me looking for an earlier record for my route (found one too!).

If I get adept enough at this, I might set about constructing the US-12 highway bridge in your route.

For those who may be curious, the highway bridge near the Milwaukee Road crossing and another one for US 212 are long (~5,000 feet) cantilever bridges of a rather unique design.

pic.jpg

BTW: US 212 roughly follows the old M&St.L route. They built right up to the edge of the Missouri, and I suppose they had at one time grand plans of constructing a fifth route out to to the Black Hills (the CNW had two, the Milwaukee Road had the route I'm building, and the Burlington Route)--of course this was when people still believed that 'rain follows the plow', and that Western SD could be tilled and farmed the same as the eastern part.

Good, I put those two unfinished routes in the library to encourage someone else to work east for Harlowton or west from
    Mobridge with them. Harlowton to Seattle-Tacoma is finished and complete. Lucas combinied my RMD 1/2 and RMD 3/4
    sections into the RMD-EAST and RMD-WEST and he super-detailed them in the process.

J. H. Sullivan