Thread: Using an MP3 file for sound

Default Using an MP3 file for sound

So, I wanted to use an MP3 file for a locomotive, (BNSF 4410) and i have not been able to get it to work, does anybody know if MP3 files are compatible with Open Rails, and if so, how should they be labeled?

I think it has to be a .wav and it has to be called out in the .sms.

Randy

I recall reading in the forum that many recommend Gold Wave editor to create the required files >> https://www.goldwave.com/ -- subject to correction by a member with expertise in sound.

Something about having the proper cue marks? present in the file.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thank you! this method will help!

Quote Originally Posted by BurlingtonNorthern11 View Post
    So, I wanted to use an MP3 file for a locomotive

Your account is relatively new.

There is much for you to master with all the basics before you start venturing too far out into the weeds with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Your account is relatively new.

There is much for you to master with all the basics before you start venturing too far out into the weeds with stuff like this.
    Jeez! How condescending can you get?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by BurlingtonNorthern11 View Post
    So, I wanted to use an MP3 file for a locomotive, (BNSF 4410) and i have not been able to get it to work, does anybody know if MP3 files are compatible with Open Rails, and if so, how should they be labeled?
    Only wav files.
    MP3 files would be acceptable only at 320kbps, whatever is lower, quality of sound gets distorted alot. Which would not be ok with me. But that's just me....

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    Only wav files.
    MP3 files would be acceptable only at 320kbps, whatever is lower, quality of sound gets distorted alot. Which would not be ok with me. But that's just me....
    On top of that, audio for external views need to be in mono, while those for cab view in stereo. Frequencies also need to be considered for pitch adjustment in the SMS file

Quote Originally Posted by joe_star View Post
    On top of that, audio for external views need to be in mono, while those for cab view in stereo. Frequencies also need to be considered for pitch adjustment in the SMS file
    Alrighty, thanks.