Video based train driving game “Japanese Rail Sim” is now available on PC -
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...rney_to_Kyoto/
    —————
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Video based train driving game “Japanese Rail Sim” is now available on PC -
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...rney_to_Kyoto/
    Absolutely beautiful.
    This is, in my opinion, worth every cent.
    Thanks muchly for the link, Jason.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Bookmarked. Was never a particular fan of video based sims (Cab View Driver with the Railscene clips!) but this looks well done and worth a punt, once I top up my Steam balance a bit!
    Vern.

And there is a demo so it can be tried to see if you like it.
    I see it is only on sale until 29th June.
    —————
    Jason

If that is what I think it is - Kyoto tram routes - it was in the Densha De Go tram collection.
    Vern.

Right away I would want to know the results of some tests.

1) I noticed one image of a signal that was green by a tunnel. Does this change at all? if not then it's not a sim.
    2) I noticed a train pass by in the video. I'm curious if you drive slower will that train maintain speed? If not then it's not a sim.
    3) Do you just go up and down on your dedicated track despite crossovers being present? If so then it's not a sim.

There are tons of cab videos out there of great beauty on YouTube of passenger equipment. Even if it passed all those tests which would make it a sim I'd probably get bored of this personally. But at least it's something new.

Thanks

Sean
    Railroader - Coming To Steam 2023
    My Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    My YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

I think I might be with you on this Sean. It was always an issue with video based sims - even the good ones like those which appeared for the PS3 (I think) that what you see on the run isn't dynamic. Then if you have an overlay on the screen for signals etc. it looks at odds with the video clip. I always said back in the day (pre MSTS), that it was an interesting stop gap but no substitute for a graphically inclusive (if that's the right phrase) game engine.
    Vern.

I tried the demo and have changed my opinion......beautiful it may be but it's NOT worth every cent!!
    Vern and Sean are correct.....and to paraphrase Mr. Spock from Star Trek, it isn't a sim as we know it!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

To be honest I have also never been that keen on video based sims either, it looks nice but I just don’t enjoy the fact that when you stop everything else in the world stops.
    —————
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ... it looks nice but I just don’t enjoy the fact that when you stop everything else in the world stops.
    That's a good way of putting it, Jason.