Thread: 3 dead after Amtrak #4 collides with a dump truck and derails

Default 3 dead after Amtrak #4 collides with a dump truck and derails

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...ntral-missouri

One person in the dump truck and two people on the train were killed. #4 was heading to Chicago when the accident occurred. All of the Superliners overturned. My heart has broken. The train passed the Santa Fe VRF camera at 10:39:39 this morning.

Oh this Hurts! I constantly ride 3 and 4 between Chicago and Los Angeles. I am on a first name basis with most of the crews. In fact, I was on 4 about a month ago heading home to New York. As a retired Locomotive Engineer this hits home real close! Everyone of us has this as one of our greatest fears. Why oh Why!!!!,cant these Truckers and others heed the crossings! Incredibly sad,Thinking of the victims and their families. Brian

There was a grade crossing collision in Northern California a day or two ago where an Amtrak California train hit a car at a rural crossing in Brentwood. Crazy that yet another collision has happened in the same week. Very sad that people just don't bother to look or listen at a crossing.
    "After you’ve done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over." - Alfred E. Perlman

The 2 P42s and the baggage car remained on the tracks, yet all passenger cars went off track. Emergency braking could be the case and not the collision itself. Either the Superliner design (too tall to balance in case of impact).
    Last edited by teostet; 06-28-2022 at 08:54 AM.

This one hit pretty close to home. We live near Kansas City and it's been all over the news. Kansas City Union Station was the last stop it made before the crash. A fourth person has died. The truck was carrying rocks when it got hit and some may have gone under the train causing the derailment. Amtrak has cancelled the Southwest Chief until Sunday.

I wonder if the truck driver tried to beat the train when he crossed the tracks.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by frliss View Post
    I wonder if the truck driver tried to beat the train when he crossed the tracks.

Fred
    It's possible. Another feasible reason could be that the brakes on the truck weren't working and he slid into the path of the train. That happened in Nevada 10 years ago when a rock truck slid into the California Zephyr at a crossing at Miriam, NV.

When the NTSB report is published on their website, we'll get all the answers we may need. As of now, they're on the scene.
    "After you’ve done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over." - Alfred E. Perlman

A farmer from the Mendon area was interviewed on our local news last night. He indicated that the crossing has steep approaches with somewhat limited visibility due to vegetation. It’s hard to tell looking at Google maps.

Just heard on the radio a couple minutes ago that a fourth person has died.

I heard that too. Two people who died came from Olathe where I live. I didn't know them. A wreath was put on display in Kansas City Union Station in honor of the victims. The crossing didn't have lights, bells, or gates.

This video shows damage to the lead unit

https://fox4kc.com/news/victims-of-a...rash-missouri/