Thread: Making pictures of rolling stock with Route Riter when there is an openrails folder

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Default Making pictures of rolling stock with Route Riter when there is an openrails folder

Hi

I use RR to make pictures so I can view the stock in Conbuilder, but
    the RR process does not work when the graphics data is in an opnerails folder.

Is there anything I can do to overcome this?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Much easier way of doing this Daniel. Download Shape Viewer ( https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....1606736&page=4 ).

Open you rolling stock's .s file, find the right view you want and just take a screenshot of it. Open that in any photo editing software, even just Paint that comes with Windows, crop the piece of rolling stock and save it as a jpeg at 1000 pixels wide.

Paul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    Hi

I use RR to make pictures so I can view the stock in Conbuilder, but

Is there anything I can do to overcome this?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Daniel
    Yes, you can use the TSRE Consist Editor, which has a far superior graphics display and no need to create additional files.

From the TSRE Manual ( Consist Editor Section at end of manual ):
    The Consist Editor is a built-in part of the TSRE5 application. It is enabled by supplying a command line
    option to TSRE5 when the program is started. This option contains the value of "--conedit". This is step
    that is accomplished by the supplied ConsistEditor.bat file.
    • To use the Consist Editor you must have a version of TSRE5 that is V0.6124 or higher.
    • You need to edit the settings.txt file and set the path to your MSTS/OR routes/trains directory,
    Example: gameRoot = F:/train simulator
    • You run the ConsistEditor.bat file from the command line or you can use Windows Explorer to copy
    the ConsistEditor.bat file and then use "Paste Shortcut" to save it to your desktop. You can then use
    the new desktop icon to start the Consist Editor.
    bandicam 2022-06-28 07-14-59-039.jpg
    Last edited by R. Steele; 06-28-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Much easier way of doing this Daniel. Download Shape Viewer ( https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....1606736&page=4 ).

Open you rolling stock's .s file, find the right view you want and just take a screenshot of it. Open that in any photo editing software, even just Paint that comes with Windows, crop the piece of rolling stock and save it as a jpeg at 1000 pixels wide.

Paul :-)
    Paul,
    ConBuilder has a tool that does the same thing. Daniel is trying to use the Tool that RR has to make JPGs of ALL the rolling stock in one's Trainset folder at one time with just a couple of key strokes. The problem is it does just that because it reads ALL the contents of the Trainset folder not just the files in the folders one level below the Trainset folder, but ALL levels of folders under the Trainset folder. I remember one repainter of 3dTrains Funits that provided alternate ENG files in a subfolder that aliased the sounds to a 3dTrain payware ENG rather than to the default GP38. The RR-CE would list 2 ENGs rather than just the one ENG.

Daniel,
    Nothing can be done short of rewriting RR's code. You will have to do it one at a time as Paul suggest or use the ConBuilder tool to do it one at a time. However, I recommend if your Trainset has ORTS compatible rolling stock you follow Gerry's suggestion and use the TSRE-CE which does not require JPG files to display the rolling stock in the CE. AND it is compatible with ORTS.
    Charles

Hi,
    This is from Daniel's post :

He may not mean exactly what is written, but no train sim data should ever be written into the Open Rails folder.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,

He may not mean exactly what is written, but no train sim data should ever be written into the Open Rails folder.

Cheers,
    Ged

Could be a complete ENG file in the Openrails folder, an OR replacement for the ENG in parent folder. OR knows the shape file is in parent folder but RR expects the Shape file to be in same folder as ENG thus it can't find it and hangs. Or it is an abbreviated ENG file with no Shape line and RR is confused. Since Daniel did not describe what happens I can only conjecture what problems RR is having and I do not intend to experiment to test this.

Then again if Daniel's Trainset is extensive, he may not be waiting long enough for RR to get through creating JPGs. When I used RR tool (pre ORTS) it took quite a bit of time for RR to make all the JPGs.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    This is from Daniel's post :

Cheers,
    Ged

True, true...I know ( from email conversations ) that many people have incomplete ( or mistaken ) knowledge of what the OpenRails folder is used for when placed in the a wag or locomotive subfolder of the TRAINSET folder.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi to everyone,

thaks for your help and advice, I am on the road at the moment so this is a
    quick reply, but I have read them all.

Cheers

Danie
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.