Thread: Route interconnects

Default Route interconnects

Hey,

So the Milwaukee Road route that I'm working on terminates in a small yard in Rapid City that has a single track at the west end that connects with the old CNW (now RCP&E) yard.

My question is what the best practice is in a situation like this? How do you guys usually terminate a route that connects with other lines?

I'd like to eventually model more of the state's railroad lines, but not necessarily as part of a single huge route package.

(Another route I'm kicking around where this could come into play is with the Milwaukee Road between Sioux Falls and Sioux City--it has a very scenic stretch along the Big Sioux River and the Loess Hills, and I think had connections with the GN and maybe the Omaha Road in Sioux Falls, and, I'm sure, connections with other lines in Sioux City).

Random anecdote remotely connected to that route from Sioux City to Sioux Falls: L.G. Everist, a large aggregate mining outfit runs a railroad along that route (the Dakota and Iowa) and owns most of it. The route basically connects several of their quarries and gravel pits with the BNSF tracks in Sioux Falls.

Anyway, back in the 90s when the new Denver airport was being constructed, they landed the contract to supply aggregate for the runways and aprons, and most of their boxcars were painted with the company name and headquarters: "L.G. Everist. Sioux Falls S. Dak."

So some local bigwig sees all these boxcars with "S. Dak." on them and gets bent out of shape because surely they could have gotten better aggregate from a local source (which is not necessarily the case: The compression strength of quartzite, which is abundant in the Sioux Falls area, is almost double that of other common aggregates).

Because of this grumbling, L.G. Everist replaces the full name and hometown with their reporting mark (LGEX) and carries right on.

Presumably the politico was satisfied that the rocks were now coming from local source and that he'd accomplished what he set out to do.

Typically I run the connecting tracks for a handful of miles beyond the connection point and just end them at some point. General rule is that you shouldn't be able to clearly see the endpoint from the primary portion of the route, and it should alsobe long enough for a traffic to spawn in without being too obvious