Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving resolution of file library buildings

Default Improving resolution of file library buildings

I've downloaded several of the buildings in the file library, and have poked around their contents.

The building textures seem to be mapped to portions of an included ACE file, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to, say, scale up the size of the included ACE file and improve the resolution of the finished product.

For instance, the Clark service station model's textures are entirely contained in a 512x512 pixel file, and I'm thinking that this could be bumped up substantially without lagging a modern processor.

You can bump them up as big as you want.
    I will usually take a 512 and double or quadruple the size which makes it easier to work with.
    Once you're done editing the texture you can leave it big or resize it down.
    Large textures will eat up video ram so keep that in mind.
    Although I use large textures for my models I have a relatively small route, 15 tiles, so I don't worry about it.
    The larger the texture the finer the detail you can include. This is important to me because I'm more into building a detailed world that has trains running through it rather than just trains going through a space. I guess the trains are more secondary to the scenery.
    Most of the stuff I work on I save as a .dds and don't convert to .ace. This works fine in OpenRails.
    So yeah, make them as big as you need to. Keep them square and stick to standard sizes, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4092x4092, etc.
    I'll answer more questions, if I can.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Keep them square and stick to standard sizes, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4092x4092, etc.
    I'll answer more questions, if I can.

Randy
    One follow-up:

If I bump up the resolution, do I need to edit the .s or .sd files as well?

No. The textures will map correctly regardless of the size.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAJensen View Post
    One follow-up:

If I bump up the resolution, do I need to edit the .s or .sd files as well?
    You shouldn't have to edit the .s file unless you change the name of the texture, and the only reason you'd need to edit the .sd is if you made night and/or snow textures that weren't there already

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    You shouldn't have to edit the .s file unless you change the name of the texture, and the only reason you'd need to edit the .sd is if you made night and/or snow textures that weren't there already
    Thanks for the replies, both of you.

No. The textures will map correctly regardless of the size.
    I wish we had the ability to upvote posts. I've gotten a lot of valuable assistance so far.

I'm more into building a detailed world that has trains running through it rather than just trains going through a space.
    This is what I'm shooting for as well.

Here's what I've been doing.
    And an .sd file is only necessary if you use night or snow textures etc. Otherwise you don't need one.
    This applies only to OpenRails.

Here's what I've been doing.
    And an .sd file is only necessary if you use night or snow textures etc. Otherwise you don't need one.
    This applies only to OpenRails.
    That aerial view of Denton looks a lot like the little towns along my route.

Where did you get the old vehicles?

I know there are quite a few 3D models of vehicles of all sorts online, so I'm guessing I should just look for the ones I want and convert them to MSTS/OR format?