Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My Complaints about Open Rails

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    maybe he's doing something wrong or maybe his hardware simply isn't up to what he's asking of it
    Did you and Steve "You Are Holding It Wrong" Jobs have the same guru by any chance?
    In Railworks, 1080p I get 60fps in the worst case and 200fps average. And all this with shadows etc.
    So please shove your speculations back where the "kuckoo" makes nest.

Well personally I'm settling down with the popcorn....
    Regards,

Nick

boffin0 on TikTok

Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

3, 2, 1....

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

"MSTS runs irreproachably on moden PC's (aside from a crash or two)"

Is that an oxy"moron" ??

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by steamonly View Post
    Did you and Steve "You Are Holding It Wrong" Jobs have the same guru by any chance?
    In Railworks, 1080p I get 60fps in the worst case and 200fps average. And all this with shadows etc.
    So please shove your speculations back where the "kuckoo" makes nest.
    You can keep tossing insults as much as you like. But, clearly, 11-19 fps with Open Rails indicates a problem on your end. Any number of things could cause this. Now, it would have been a great if you had simply posted a log file, instead of all the drama.

Now we can continue making irrelevant claims about how other applications run, but we're talking about OR here. I'm running OR high-traffic timetables on an old, preserved Windows7 64 bit system, 8GB RAM, a multiple-year-old 2 gig GTX-950, and an ancient four core i5-750. Even the latest BIOS update was ten years ago. Not something one would consider "high-end". Depending on scenery density and nearby AI density, I'm getting 40-60 fps with 10km render, 150% detail, dynamic shadows on all objects (with manually entered 2048 resolution), and advanced physics. I can get a consistent 60FPS regardless of conditions if I turn down some of the detail and go back to the default shadow resolution.

If I can get that kind of performance on my (literally) dusty old hardware, surely you must be able to do way better if you're getting the kind of performance you claim on "everything-else-except-OR". But you're not. Which, like it or not, indicates a problem on your end. That is the logical speculation to make. Of course, nothing will be resolved as long as you're acting like a toddler past his nap time.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

I am a long-time route "modder". I mod the crap out of routes I enjoy running trains on. Translate = pretty much "0" default anything. I add tons of vegetation and scenery objects, fill up yards and sidings with engines and rolling stock, numerous AI meets and AI action, all after market player train engines and rolling stock....smooth as silk baby, no crashes, high FPS - day, night, summer, winter - never a worry.
    OR/Monogame/Reshade...railroad simulation heaven considering the premise is as old as it is.
    I have a decent gaming system, maybe a generation or so old.
    Fact is, is took a little self-commitment to learn the in's & out's of OR. Worked my way through it, stayed patient as the kinks were worked out and improvements added (continually), and it is one SOLID platform that simulates real world railroading, with the ability to add very reasonable physics into the train performance mix.

The masses are in a good place, but these masses worked their way through what it takes to get the best results.

Thanks to all who make this possible.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

"You can keep tossing insults as much as you like."

this guy is a troll, nothing he reports is repeated anywhere else,
    even on my laptop running on an usb attached ssd I get better then 150 FPS
    and it looks fine.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (Glad I'm not in Townsville)
    It used to be my favourite place in the world.

I rarely get below 60fps in OpenRails. That's running windowed with streaming radio and seven separate browser instances (over 30 tabs total).

The human eye can only detect about 60fps. Anything over that is a waste of resources...

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    ....The human eye can only detect about 60fps. Anything over that is a waste of resources...
    I thought it was less than that......around 30 fps? Which is why movie film passes through the "gate" at 24 fps (literally "frames-per-second"). Hasn't changed since the 1930s.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I thought it was less than that......around 30 fps? Which is why movie film passes through the "gate" at 24 fps (literally "frames-per-second"). Hasn't changed since the 1930s.
    24fps for movies was just the minimum industry standard chosen where a viewer perceives it as natural motion instead of a collection of stills. There have been films shot at lower and higher rates.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."