Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Complaints about Open Rails

I bet this thread would read a lot differently if you started by saying something like 'thousands of you got OR to work, what am I doing wrong'.

Paul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    You do seem to have a penchant for finding fault steamonly.
    And I did it for free. If you want a 20 page written report and got the money for it... that would be a whole other issue and I may even call you "Mr."

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    I bet this thread would read a lot differently if you started by saying something like 'thousands of you got OR to work, what am I doing wrong'.
    It would have read the same, only with other words. Who are we trying to fool? I was promised that OR was a drop-in replacement for MSTS with the implication that (even if not by default) it has a mode that offers 100% compatibility... instead I get reproached that I compared the graphic engine of NFS:HP to this piece of ......? Why can't I? Because they are both graphic engines of games involving vehicles moving on a set track? So the difference between the 500 fps I should be getting based on how OR looks and the 15 fps I get is taken up by quantum-molecular physics simulations of the couplers? Give me a break.

I can will find no goodwill for thousands of people who spit into the face of MSTS and expect me to believe it was a sacrament.
    Last edited by dedwa15237; 07-19-2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Language, language

Quote Originally Posted by steamonly View Post
    VERDICT: Unplayable.
    And yet, the rest of us play it just fine. Why is that?

Too bad, I've never seen this "drop-in" replacement offer. It would have taken a bit of reading bit you could have come here and see what everyone else was doing, just a few simple steps. Before I wrote my comment earlier I just finished an activity on a Windows 7 machine with a frame rate of 240+ in OR, not sure what settings you used to get only 15, but you could have asked about that too.

Paul

I have a long wishlist for OR but no complaints.
    Can't complain about free.

Randy

I was promised that OR was a drop-in replacement for MSTS with the implication that (even if not by default) it has a mode that offers 100% compatibility... instead I get reproached that I compared the graphic engine of NFS:HP to this piece of shit? Why can't I? Because they are both graphic engines of games involving vehicles moving on a set track? So the difference between the 500 fps I should be getting based on how OR looks and the 15 fps I get is taken up by quantum-molecular physics simulations of the couplers? Give me a break.

I can will find no goodwill for thousands of people who spit into the face of MSTS and expect me to believe it was a sacrament.
    Oh, the drama...

By your logic (such as it is) DCS World should run as smoothly on a bare minimum spec toaster as Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the same hardware because they are both graphic engines of games involving planes moving in the sky.

It's baffling how someone can have such a total lack of understanding and be so aggressively dense about it.
    "My dog got loose once, what I did was show him his leash & he came running back, thinking it was time for a walk - stupid dog."

Default let us start from the beginning...

The best thing to do is to post your Open Rails log file. Last time I checked it is on your desktop. If you want to be helped, it is the surest way to get help.

Anything that seemed to run MSTS ok, might not work for Open Rails hardware wise.

Like you, there are compromises to live with because we do not have the source code to MSTS and never will. When you reverse engineer something as complex as MSTS you cannot recreate an EXACT duplicate of it somewhere else, from the ground up. That might have been the "intention" 10+ years ago, but Open Rails progressed beyond that, albeit most likely not to your exact specifications/expectations.

If you feel anger towards this project, I suggest you step back from it for the mean time, and enjoy something else that gives you more pleasure.

We volunteer our time, free of charge with this project, and we all have our frustrations with the path Open Rails is taking. The trick is to make your efforts with this project work for the better. Not everybody can do that, and it is important to understand and deal with our own/others talents/limitations for an open source project such as this.

From what you have written/complained about there are clearly some hardware issues. Your Open Rails log file will help us locate them for you.

Steve

Who are we trying to fool? I was promised that OR was a drop-in replacement for MSTS with the implication that (even if not by default) it has a mode that offers 100% compatibility...
    Nobody promised anyone a drop-in MSTS replacement or 100% compatibility. They got pretty darn close when you consider the tens of thousands of functional requirements.

Enjoy playing MSTS. Maybe I can introduce you to someone I know who finds Netflix too confusing so they still play VHS tapes on a 70" 4K TV and complain that it's blurry...

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Nobody promised anyone a drop-in MSTS replacement or 100% compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Too bad, I've never seen this "drop-in" replacement offer.Paul
    R. Steele did. It's also spammed all over the internet, in places MSTS is mentioned. You only have look.
    It's as if someone googled the relevant keywords and then started a marketing campaign to satisfy his ego.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Can't complain about free.
    Nothing is free in this world friendo. If you got more than you deserve, you don't have to rub it in everyone's face.

Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoRailroad View Post
    there are compromises to live with because we do not have the source code to MSTS and never will. When you reverse engineer something as complex as MSTS you cannot recreate an EXACT duplicate of it somewhere else, from the ground up. That might have been the "intention" 10+ years ago, but Open Rails progressed beyond that, albeit most likely not to your exact specifications/expectations.
    First of all, thank you for the measured response, Steve. I am firmly convinced that the source code issue (making a source port) would disappear if there was a team remotely capable of executing such task, from start to finish, without any thought of "improvement" at each and every step. Fortunately MSTS runs irreproachably on moden PC's (aside from a crash or two), and that is truly a testament to the rigorous nature of its code.
    Otherwise there is no reason to worry. I made my sanguine contribution to OpenRails, judged it as an unsalvageable product (or movement or philosophy or religion or whatever it is considered by those making it better and better and better and better), and now consider it a shut case.

Wow!!! Nothing quite like saying "Thank you for being patient with my rants and being rational..." only to follow it up with "you're a bunch of incompetent twits who couldn't blow their nose without a map and a fan!"

Personally I'd say this one is a troll looking for attention. Ten posts overall on the boards and seems to have really only come to complain about how he can't Open Rails to work better than his version of a 20+ year old game.
    - Chris N.
    So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet, to see the king of the potato people... and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?