Thread: Peculiar error in route

Cool Peculiar error in route

Collegues,

I received a very excellent partially completed route from Simon in the Netherlands several years ago
    which I then completed and extended such that it covers the entire Virginian RR west of Roanoke and
    some N&W. Catenary is in place and the N&W connecting tracks are in place so the date is anytime
    from 1959 to 1982.

But there is a issue. After, I believe, I had placed the roads, there are errors that crash MSTS and RE
    at two locations. Most likely this is some indigestible piece or a corrupted piece and at least one other
    more experienced person than I has hit a hard wall on it too. A similar error occurred on the
    Tallahassee Sub. route some years back and one of our European friends found a questionable road
    piece if I remember right but I cannot find the discussion on how to solve the issue.

TSRE and ORTS work fine, no problem, so when I go to complete this route, likely early next year, I
    plan to complete it as ORTS/TSRE only but if any masochists are out there that want to flagellate
    themselves (figuratively) I will be glad to send them the route only asking that they not complete it,
    just fix the issues.

You can be running your train and all goes well to a certain point, and then "Crash", or going the
    other way, the Crash comes at a different, but close location suggesting that it crashes when it
    attempts to load a world tile that is in between the crash locations. Does any know of a way to
    determine what file is loading when a crash occurs?

The only way I know is with Procmon from sysinternals.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

I used to chase bugs in MSTS, but gave up when I found that MSTS would load a bunch of files, then test all of them in memory and crash when it got an error.

I do not have MSTS running here, only OR.
    Last edited by derekmorton; 07-21-2022 at 06:29 PM. Reason: extra information
    Cheers
    Derek

Thanks Derek. Since most of the routes & other material today say "ORTS only" my inclination is to not worry about it.
    I can create activities with MSTS/RE and I can edit everywhere but within maybe a 2 mile stretch at the two locations
    one being near Pembroke in the New River Valley and the other at Salem, just west of Roanoke. Simon Van de Laak
    had started the route, did a really neat job around Mullins although he used a ton of dynamic track and then for his own
    reasons he left the hobby but he sent me the route and has assisted with structures since. I added nearly every line
    the Virginian had west, north, and northeast of Mullins, including a little C&O. So for those interested in electrified lines
    and coal trains, this is a "must have". I should get it out late next year. At 83, I don't know how many more routes
    I have "in the tank" and I also volunteer as a docent 2-3 weeks a year at the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic staying at a
    B&B in Chama, NM when I do it. This year the plan is for the 1st 3 weeks of October which is also the last 3 weeks of
    the 2022 operating season.

J. H. Sullivan

Hi Jerry,

I had long standing sound problems with MSTS across 2 pc's so when I found OR, there was no holding me back.
    OR cured my sound problem so I have not run MSTS since.
    When Carlo started his ORNYMG versions, I assisted as I could with bug finding and testing for him.
    When my win7 box got a bit old, I started having watchdog errors, Carlo's port was the only one I could run.
    I finally replaced the machine when I could find the money, but I like running Carlo's version.

I also volunteer at a miniature railway local to here https://www.dvr.com.au every Sunday and Wednesday, and then use the time on the computer to recover.
    Cheers
    Derek