Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TSW3 General Woffle & Guffaws Thread

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Fee paying schools here are called Public Schools, Bruce. Famous ones like Eton, Harrow and Rugby spring to mind.

State education now is mostly comprehensive i believe buddy. But some areas of the UK still have Grammar Schools.

So it is basically the same as your system, pay or do not pay.

Mike.
    Yep....I've heard of the Public Schools - although why they're called "public" when they are really private and have fees is somewhat confusing.
    What is the difference between "grammar" and "comprehensive" schools, Mike? Do they only teach grammar at one and lots of stuff at the other?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yeah it is definitely a dumb description Bruce.

Hahahahahahahaha, grammar schools were\are for the people who passed the 11 plus exam in the last year of junior\primary school. The losers like me who didn't pass it went to secondary schools. Which were less academically focused than grammar schools. Grammars also had the GCE exams in all subjects, at the end of their time in school (General Certificate of Education). In secondary schools, we had the CSE exams (Certificate of Secondary Education). Which was of a lower standard than GCE exams. Some pupils like myself, could be put forward to take the GCE exams in certain subjects in secondary school. If they were deemed a bit above average and likely to pass. I did GCE exams in English and History and passed. My CSE passes were not so brilliant, as i was only interested in those two subjects.

Comprehensive education, was an amalgamation of grammar and secondary schools, i believe Bruce. But that era was after my school days, so not sure why it happened. Probably political ideology of one sort or another. I do know the Tories are very pro the Grammar school system. There were also schools called Technical Schools in my day. Not sure what they did exactly, there were none in my area. But they were basically schools to turn out cannon fodder for factory jobs etc.

I may not be super intelligent, but i am aware enough to know that TSW what ever number is just more waste of money crud from DTG.

Did you see what i did there buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    .........I may not be super intelligent, but i am aware enough to know that TSW what ever number is just more waste of money crud from DTG.

Did you see what i did there buddy.
    Oh yes, I saw what you did. Very neat, Mike.

Thanks for the explanations on a (to me) rather confusing education system.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hahahahahahaha, no worries Bruce. Just a brief precis of the system as it was.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Back on topic…

Matt P popped up on the DTG forum last night and adamant he is not putting a “broken” save game in TSW3.

Well it hasn’t worried them for the last five years during which they had plenty of time to sort a solution.

There is no point in buying TSW3 with longer runs like Cajon until the save game is put back, not going to be many people who can do a 3 hour run in one shot.
    Vern.

No point buying it at all, from where i am standing Vern.

More of the same DTG rubbish and without a route creation editor.

It is dead in the water, as far as a long term hobby goes.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I've been away for a while and have only now caught up with this thread.

So lets see if I understand correctly:
    Most of you guys seem to prefer prototypical routes, preferably ones that you are familiar with.
    On these routes you like to drive the trains, pretending that rather than being a passenger in a real train you are actually the driver of a locomotive / railcar.
    But, from what you are saying above, you actually don't want to do what a real driver does -- siting on his butt for eight hours moving various levers and toggles. You want to drive for maybe 30 minutes, go away, have a coffee, watch TV, eat something, ... and then continue where you left off.

Now, as is well known by now, on The Dispatcher's railroads he expects his men to get out there and get the job done. Most of us remember the winter of '07 when Chuck & Joe were out in the blizzard for 14 hours, battling poor visibility and frozen switches, to deliver those freight cars to our customers.

Here's the bottom line -- The Dispatcher don't employ quiche-eating latte-sipping Prius-driving metrosexual wimps. He wants real men on his railroads, and that is obviously what The Directors of the railroads run by DTG want too. So here is a suggestion -- man up and drive those routes from end to end. No pauses; certainly no saves. Eight or nine hours on the job. It's what is required from you guys as a right of entry to those of us who drive Ford F150 pickups, eat red meat and drink whisky.

Phil
    Last edited by philskene; 08-17-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Not me Phil, i sit here for hours on end sometimes, driving to oblivion.
    Problem is most TSW routes are shorter than my shoe lace, complete waste of time.
    As to all the working in freezing conditions, i did that for real buddy. Both on shed and out on breakdown trains.
    The winter of 1967 was far colder than the winter of 2007, it was pre global warming rubbish.
    We actually had snow and ice back then, for months on end during the winter.

Trouble is a lot of train gamers, live with spouses and families. So game time is probably limited.
    Where as i live on my own and please myself how long i sit here, at the pc.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Yeah we wouldn't want to have a flat tree to look at when we leave every 30 minutes
    Railroader - Coming To Steam 2023
    My Discord https://discord.gg/HDKbMDzdzm
    My YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    ......-- siting on his butt for eight hours .....
    You're an Aussie, Phil, so it's "bum" or "arse", not "butt".